Cut class early to get everything done. To fromagerie to bet cheese re-vacuumed. Bought a hat for Janet. Turned in keys & got self to Gard du Nord on the metro.
Love the Chunnel. Sleepy, but tried to stay away for the first glimpse of England. At St Pancras station, it takes forever to buy an Oyster card, but the guy speaks English so well I want to kiss him.
Take the wrong train & have to backtrack. Easily find Ginger at Aldgate East & he helps me with my abominable luggage. Back at his apartment, I meet his new roommate K, here from the states to take some time off a& be creative. She is effervescent & lightens the atmosphere between Ginger & I. Glad that she comes along on our walking tour of London. First we go to the National Portrait Gallery; it’s free & open late tonight. Bluestocking exhibit of Victorian intellectual and feminist ladies. However, I find it ironic that they were names for a man. Apparently blue stockings were worn by working class men, and one wealthy man took it into his head to wear them. And it for his daring that they were named the blue stockings. Also captivated by Queen Elizabeth, Shakespeare & John Donne.
Then, we walk everywhere. You name it, we saw it. Ginger has an encyclopedic knowledge of royalty & historical events. We end with a view of the London Eye & return home. My feet hurt.
Things I will miss about Paris:
the incredible cheeses and breads
the metro
my classmates, and practicing French
dancing and dancers in Paris
the excitement of being a foreigner
walking along the Seine in my superb hat
daily adventures
learning to dine, and not feelling rushed out by impatient waiters
the gardens and trees
long daylight hours
Things I will not miss about Paris:
scary, ricketty stairs. In fact, stairs at all!
horrible and curt shop personnel
carrying my abominable luggage (I am determined never again to travel with any but my small Victorinox roller with the twist handle!)
the queues
Reasons I will be glad to be home:
not having to use converters
cooking my own food
being able to communicate in my mother tongue
no fees to withdraw money from the ATM
BSG and SYTYCD (I haven't watched any tv in Paris)
getting together with my LA friends
my shower
my incredibly comfy bed!!!
Friday, May 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I read:
"getting to shower with my LA friends"
doubletake
Post a Comment