Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Paris Day 27: The time is really short now ...

After class I went over to Notre Dame and climbed to the top. The view is breathtaking, and so was the climb. I stopped off at the mid-level gift shop to wander around and catch my breath. When I came out, the way up was barred by a velvet tie. I considered waiting until some nice person came along and opened it. Then I thought, "Well, that's a stupid idea. Since when a nice person comes by, they are bound to be followed by a whole horde of other people. And do I really want to be at the head of a stampede, when it's not likely that I can keep up? Or do I want to be behind all the other people who lag behind?" So, I stepped under the velvet barrier, and progressed at my own pace the rest of the way up.

I find Notre Dame to be a curious place. A catholic cathedral dedicated to the Virgin Mary. And yet, it is decorated with all manner of gruesome and ghoulish statues all around the outside. Shows that superstition is still well and alive in catholicism ... at least as much as in any other religion.

After taking my own sweet time coming down the stairs, it's almost mesmerizing to watch the stairs, and yet, how can one not? I make my way back to Place Maubert, to the fromagerie. I explain to the sales clerk that I am going to host a cheese party when I return to the states, so I need to buy many differenc types of cheese and have them vacuum packed for the journey. He is so enthusiastic, and keeps complimenting me on my good taste as I point to the various cheese that look good to me. In hindsight, I should have chosen more hard cheese, but the soft cheeses were what I came to love on my trip. In the end, I think I bought six or seven types of cheese!

Did a lot of last minute errands, since I'm not sure how many stores will be open tomorrow, which is thesecond national holiday in a week's time. Groceries. Over to the rental agency to report the cigarette burns on the sheet corners of the new apartment. To Laduree to buy some more boxed mini-macaroons to take to Alex's roommates and the Cogans. To the Georges Pompidou Center to buy a gift for Alex ... and really, I wracked my brain on what to get, after the unexpected gift he gave me!

Met up with Bertrand at Cour St Emilion. We walked a little through the adjacent park. He is such an enthusiastic person, which is a definite change from Alex. We picked an Italian restaurant and ate outside where it was cool and shady and breezy. Confess that I had about an ounce of his sparkling red wine. Can't say that I much like alcoholic beverages. I mostly drink to sate my thirst or cool my mouth. If I drank alcohol like I drink water, I would be a serious alkie. Toward the end, Sophie joined us for dessert.

Sophie is a gem. Adopted by a Swiss couple, she is actually from Korea. However, she grew up in France, and speaks about four or five languages. I think it is rare for her to encounter other Korean people, and she seemed to really like me, and I her. Agnes, who I remember from the WCS workshop, also joined us jsut as we were leaving the restaurant. When we got to the club, Bertrand and Sophie tried to get me in for the discounted price, but the haughty hostess would have none of it. Just said no in the plainest, shortest way possible. However, when I tried to pay my entrance, Sophie would have none of it, and sponsored me, so to speak.

They had billed the night as Rock, Salsa and WCS dancing. And while they did play about 6 WCS songs, I bemoaned the lack of truth in advertising. However, it was fun to dance with Bertrand, and watch him with Sophie and Agnes as well. I did dance with a couple other guys, but they weren't very good, and it was less painful to just watch. I just don't get the Rock rhythm, and it's just not a flexible enough dance form for me.

I did get in a couple salsa dances wih Bertrand right before I left, which had a redeeming effect on the dancing portion of the night. I left them all with invitations to visit and stay with me in Los Angeles

No comments: