After class, went back to apartment and Ginger and I headed back to Notre Dame for the displaying of the relics: supposedly part of the Christ's crown of thorns, a nail and a bit of the cross.
Queue was amazing. Coiled around like a snake. Bizarre.
Inside of ND is immense. Stained glass not as beautiful as Chartres, but then ND was converted to a "temple of reason" during the revolution, so it's a wonder it's still standing at all. Must come back later to take tower tour.
Ceremony for the display. Ginger and I got some seats on the side, kind of near the front. Soprano singer with clear and pleasant voice lead singing. Lots of French spoken by guys in long robes that I don't understand. People standing in the aisles blocking the view. Rather rude, that. Then people lined up to kiss the glass case immediately surrounding the thorn crown, which was held by a long-robed man. The supplicants would put their forehead in the middle of the crown, and kiss the glass, which two obliging men standing on either side wiped off the glass between supplicants, WITH THE SAME LITTLE PIECE OF TISSUE! Strange, both the kissing and the wiping.
Over to the museum opposite the Orangerie for a photo exhibit by Alex Soth. I liked what he had to say. "I often say that when I am making a portrait, I'm not 'capturing' the other person. If the photograph documents anything, it is the space between the subject and myself."
And, this from the mother of the child Soth and his wife adopted, to the child, "I hope that the harshness of the world will not hurt your sensitivity. When I think about you, I hope that your life is full of beautiful things." Not very original, but it really touched me.
Some of Soth's pieces were fabulous. Others, so-so.
Was it today that Ginger told me about taking emotionally intimate pictures of good friends? Pictures that expressed more the of inner person, as opposed to the shell that people errect to protect themselves. Sounded very therapeutic and terrifying. Somehow I don't think I would sign release papers either to have strangers look at me at my most emotionally vulnerable. The concept intrigued me, but I fear that I am too self-protective to be an effective subject in such a study. I am learning more and more to be able to share my thoughts with others. But I guard my feelings very closely. As Wonder Woman once said of my Catanning ... I play it very close to the chest. There are certain people that I can be almost entirely honest and complete with, but they are few and far between.
Got over to the George Pompidou Center. Museum wasn't selling anymore tickets, but we poured over the Gift shop and the Book store. I'm entirely too vulnerable to the charm of a blank notebook. Bought several thin notebook/holder things that will be perfect for travelling and gifting.
Friday, May 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment