Saturday, May 10, 2008

England Day 2: Getting about London

Walk to the Globe Theatre, and pass by a large market underneath a train station. The Burroughs market? It was bustling and the food looked gorgeous. I glanced longingly at the cheeses, but can't conceive of carrying them all day long.

At the Globe, they are rehearsing Midsummer Night's Dream, so we can't go into the yard or on the stage, but our guide takes us into the best seats of the house, and we watch them rehearse. It's the scene at the end where the players are performing for the Duke and his fiancee. They are marvelous. As soon as the tour is over, I hightail it to the box office. It's opening night, and the sign says "Sold Out." I wonder if I can get a matinee showing the next day and delay my trip to Bristol a couple of hours. Yes, there is a matinee performance tomorrow, but it is King Lear. Hmph. I ask if there are, by any chance, any tickets left for tonight. The ticket lady is doubtful, but takes a look. And compliments me on my gorgeous hat. And huzzah! There is ONE ticket left! Suddenly I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Over the Millesnium Bridge to the Tate Modern. I am not a big fan of modern art, but there were definitely things that drew me. Plus, the TM is so well planned and organized that one can't help but appreciate it. Can't take pictures in the TM, but here are some of the things that appealed to me (some of which just don't look good from a computer an ocean and continent away):
Walpurgis Night, by Paul Klee
Burnt Landscape II, by Fred Williams
Ishi's Light by Anish Kapoor
Seated Nude by Pablo Picasso
Six Mile Bottom by Frank Stella
Bursting Shell by C. Nevinson
Mandora by George Braque

To the Victoria & Albert Museum. It is filled with the most beautiful things. From the marble statues in the large main hall, to the costumes, to the jewelry I didn't get to see because it was being remodeled. Spent a lot of time in the gift shop. Found a bracelet whose beads somewhat approximated the chandelier necklace I want to make. So, I bought the bracelet with the express purpose of deconstructing it.

To the Design Museum. Again, I spent my time in the gift shop. Everything there was so wonderful. Ended up buying several books for friends. I bought Seven Hundred Penguins for myself.Someday I will find the perfect frames, and my favorite covers will grace an entire wall.

Walked back toward the apartment, but decided that I wouldn't have time to make it for C's (GInger's other roommate) party that night, and I hightail it to the Globe. End up eating at the restaurant there. Horrible overpriced, but the food is good, and I end up seated at a comfy couch, just under a wonderfully breezy window, with a wonderful view of the restaurant. Plus, my waiter is really handsome.

The show is marvelous. My seat is marvelous. It's the perfect way to spend an evening in London.

Back at the apartment, C is dancing with a drunken friend. Ginger beckons me into his room, and we sit and chat while C convinces her friend that he is too drunk to make it past the door, much less back to his apartment. It's good to chat with Ginger. He seems a little less surly and pessimistic tonight. I just wish I could give him an infusion of optimism and happiness.

However, to combat this bleak picture of my friend, I shall also say that he is truly a gentleman, kind and helpful to strangers, and has an extremely dry wit. When I told him I was coming to London and would like to get together for lunch, he unreservedly opened his house to me. And once in London, he supplied me with a cell phone, and maps and books galore. Plus, he's an extremely talented photographer, and I love hearing him talk about his work.

No comments: