Ginger left for the Musee D'Orsay early, which gave me leisure time to shower and get ready for church. The hardest thing about having a guest in this tiny little studio apartment is not being able to cool down enough after showering. I generally like to take my time after a shower ... slathering on lotion and letting my body cool down and dry off before dressing. But in such a small space, it's impossible to dry and cool off entirely in the small shower room, especially since it's really cramped, there is no fan, and everything is steamed up. Basically, I've been taking lukewarm showers for the past week and a half, and quickly jumping into the toilet room to change into my dry clothes.
But, this morning was lovely.
Walked up to church. It's so close, it's a shame I haven't made it before. Congregation is split linguistially ... French and Chinese speaking in one ward, English in the other. I attended the French sacrament meeting. Lots of missionaries: elder and sister pairs in both French and Chinese, so eight total! Lots of missionary testimonies, which were endearing. Two misionaries from La Canada were the only ones who spoke to me.
Went straightaway to the Musee de la Vie Romantique, which is dedicated to George Sand. I keep meaning to read a biodraphy of her, as she has fascinated me ever since I saw Impromtu.
Went back to the apartment and changed, since I was too hot in my dress and tall black boots. What a waste of time, but really, it's too hot for Paris now. On the way, I bought a huge floppy black hat, a' la Chanel at a tourist shop. It's enormous and will definitely protect me better from the sun than the two brim-skimpy hats that I got when it was cold and rainy. At the apartment I changed into linen pants and my fabulous Nike black top. Pinned a large floppy flower to the corner and felt tres chic!
Walked along Seine in my ensemble (I'm sure I looked a strange site) and got as far as the Louvre. I'd intended to go to the Orangerie, but decided to take advantage of the "first Sunday of the month is free" deal and entered the Louvre instead.
Really liked the Cupid and Psyche statue. Even liked the La Gioconda ... she always looks so drab and manly in pictures of the painting, but in person, even behind glass, she is very appealing.
Skimmed through the Italian large format paintings. Found some things that I liked. Hope to get around to posting them sometime soon.
Walked back to the apartment along the Seine and got cleaned up. Ginger necer made it back, and since I didn't want to be late for dinner at Jim's, I left a note. Confess that I looked in vain for Ginger as I walked to the metro station. When I descended the stairs, I gave it up. And then there he was, after having taken the metro for the first time. How bizarre. However, since he'd just eaten, he decided to pass on Jim's.
Dinner was fabulous. Saw Ama right away. Apparently she is staying in Jim's basement, on the goodness of his heart! Met a bunch of ex-pats and a French woman who was attending for the first time. Good time for me to practice my French, and her to practice her English!
Veer brought her sister, and we all had fun getting acquainted. Veer is just so charming and American, I don't see how anyone could not like her.
Met Da, who has the air (and accent) of a European, but is actually an Aussie. He was dressed in what looked like a smoking jacket, and says that Paris is the center of the world.
Bought one of Jim's books, and he drollfully autographed it. Such a generous, outgoing, and social character. I wish I'd come at the beginning of my Paris trip, and not the end.
When I got home, Ginger was fast asleep. Thank heavens for a little snoring, which is a general indicator if a man is sleeping or not! Showered and washed my fabulous Nike top so I could wear it during the heat of the next day.
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment