Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bearing one another's burdens

Busy day at work. Almost went to Paladino's for dancing, but decided against it because of the ankle. Was settling in for a boring night at home when my phone rang.

Item 1: I rarely have my phone on.
Item 2: I generally check to see who's calling me before I pick up, since I don't really like talking on the phone.
Item 3: Couldn't tell who was calling, but I picked up anyway.

Sure enough, it was Mr. Man. I had a sneaking suspicion it would be. Anyway, he needed help with a problem that I am specifically able to assist in. It's one of the few situations in which I am able to use a very specific skill set to help out a friend, and I'm always glad to do it. So I drove over and took care of it. And since it'd been a while since we'd had more than casual conversation, we settled in for a long chat.

Turns out that there had been gossip about me and a specific someone. Which made me laugh. I sometimes think LDS's are so eager to see people married off that spending time with anyone is an ecclesiastical/dating hazzard. Anyway, I quickly disabused Mr. Man of the rumors. At which point he started giving me tips on flirting with one or two of the gentlemen I am actually interested in getting to know better. It's always interesting to hear the male perspective on this, especially since there is no pressure with Mr. Man.

Talked about a lot of things. And it was getting late. But we kept on talking. Maybe it was the lateness of the hour. Maybe it was having a sympathetic audience. Maybe I just needed to let some stuff out that I'd been holding in for a while. Anyway, it was a very long chat. A lot of confidences and comfort given and returned. And it was good. And I really needed it. With Perky and Wry-an so far away, it was good to unload.

Left around 0200. Friendship is priceless.

4 comments:

Renee said...

I'm so glad to know that there is someone there for you to have those good long late night chats with! I'm just sad it's not me anymore!

Ryan said...

we do need to catch up. I'm calling sunday night whetther your answering or not.

Ryan said...

disregard any bad spelling in all my communication as usual.

Dora said...

Renee, I want to get together sometime while you're down here. I'll be holding a couple key thingamajiggies that you left behind hostage!

Forewarned is forearmed, Wry-an. I'll have the generally unused electronic device on and ready to receive.