Saturday, July 21, 2007

Making it happen

So, in the spirit of not relying on church leaders, I organized a little girls' afternoon out. Lunch and a matinee movie with some women that I'm interested in getting to know more. Not that I don't like including the guys. Just that time with just girls is rare these days. So, we lunched at Jack Spratt's before going to the new Landmark theatre at Westwood and Pico to see Once, a movie Mr. Giggles had recommended eons ago. I've been listening to the soundtrack on-line, and wanted to see it before it left theatres.

The movie was so lovely. Not a lot of tricks or special effects. Just intimate footage of the two main characters as their story unfolded, and music that seemed to fit right in. On film, some of Glen Hansard's vocals came off a bit harsh, but I still loved it. Marketa Irglova was so charming. The music throughout was tender and touching. The kind of music that makes falling in love easy. Little things, like draggin around a hoover, or nipping hanky-panky in the bud, snagged my attention and made me want the movie to last beyond the standard one and a half hours. Not a standard Hollywood ending, but it brought a tear (or maybe even two) to my eye.

How often do you find the right person? I'll have to get back to you on that ...

In the meantime, I've finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. Loaned my copy to Wonder Woman, whose guaranteed-delivered-on-7/21-bought-on-Amazon.com-copy never came!!!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

best. movie. ever.

Ryan said...

I've wanted to see the movie. AS I write this my lovely wife is in the other room reading Harry Potter and neglecting me right now. She's 100 pages from finishing.