Sunday, July 29, 2007

Curry and Catan


Reluctantly got up at 0830 to go to church. One hour, I promised myself, then I can come home and collapse.

I've long since decided that being single in a married church isn't bad. In fact, I'm quite happy with my life. I'd like to buy a house, fall in love, get married, and have children, but the first goal is the only one that involves just my own free agency, and I'm hoping to make it happen in the next year or two. However, what I really deplore, is being-single-in-a-married-church-AND-being-harped-at. And although it's bad enough coming from people I actively dislike, it's even worse coming from people I rather like. I really don't need to hear that it will all work, you'll find someone for sure, guys are just stupid, etc etc. Not all men are stupid. It's never a certain thing that I will find someone who wants to marry me AND who I like enough to marry. And don't tell me it's all going to work out, because i think it's working pretty well right now. And that is part of why one hour turned into two. Really, I should have cut the other person off and left, but I genuinely like this person, know that they are trying to help, and didn't want to be rude. It took all of 15 minutes for the pain of my fake smile to fade after I'd made my escape.

Also got to catch up with my visiting teacher. A bit of drama with her twins, who have finally, after a stretch in the NICU, coming home, and emergent CPR and PICU re-admission for one of the twins. Plus, they're moving to be closer to family. She's been so diligent and kind these last few years.

Came home and did indeed collapse into bed for a few hours. Got up and made curry in record time ... two hours from start to finish. I think that's a personal best. Also, I've stopped sauteing everything but the meat ... less oil, and cuts down the cooking time significantly, without loosing any of the flavor.

Smallish group tonight ... just two tables. I taught at the Babes in Toyland table. It's always a bit of a drag; the games are much slower, no one wants to trade, and I miss all the excitement of the the cutthroat games. But's it;s worth it to spread the love of Catan. Of the bunch, I think Feminist A caught on the quickest, although Shimai J seemed to be doing really well. Feminist A won at the beginner table, and Wonder Woman creamed the competition at the cutthroat table.

Who else came? Boss-man ... hardly ever see him, and was very surprised that he came, so it was nice to see him. KY, who's finally feeling better. Lovely Lady.

The best parts of the night were just spent catching up. The Dot and Ballerina came, and B brought the baby, who we all admired. It was interesting to talk with B about how motherhood was treating her, and how her perceptions of motherhood have drastically changed. Talked about movies with The Dot and White Boy. Talked with Feminist A about the exponent retreat. And after most of the people had left, Shimai J, Feminist A, Jbeany and Girl Friday stayed around to chat about all things womanly. I've even gotten an idea for another girl's night in/out, and a couple of more women that I want to start including.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I miss your curry night.