Over to HSAAL's to watch Tokyo Drift on his projector screen. Note: This was one of the movies I threw out as fun to watch at Arrowhead. HSAAL brought it, and even gave it to me (which made me wonder if it was really that bad, or if HSAAL is just that nice). However, with all the fun we were having, nary a movie was watched at Arrowhead, which I take as a point of pride.Anyway, woke up this morning and put the dvd in my purse so that I wouldn't forget to bring it!
We all squished into HSAAL's apartment, which was surprisingly put together for a guy's place, and got to know each other. Of note: I met the writer who did the last musical episode of Scrubs, which was just fantastic. I am so feeling the jealousy vibes from Perky right now! Also met Mr. Giggles' writing partner J, who I've heard also plays Catan ...
So, TD was fabulous! Of course the dialogue was pure drivel. Of course we all laughed when the girl said, "... and everything else just disappears" as she's screeching her car down a moonlit mountainside. Of course the bad Japanese accents drove me bonkers. And of course we all hollered when we saw the surprise guest at the end. But the driving scenes were so fantastic that none of the other stuff really mattered.
It was really fun to see the shots of Shibuya. And the houseparty in the garage reminded me of the wackiness in Harajuku and Yoyogi Park.
One down side is that almost none of the principle Japanese characters were Japanese ... Sung Kang is Korean (and paradoxically reminds me of an asian Andrew McCarthy), and Brian Tee is either Korean or Chinese (I think he played the masochist on Grey's Anatomy a while back). And I love that Sonny Chiba, who used to play Hattori Hanzo in Kage no Gundan (Shadow Warriors), the ninja show that kept m family enthralled for years, was the gangster uncle Kamata!
So, if you're looking for some brainless fun and visual stim, I'd absolutely recommend this movie.
Also watched the opening sequence to Casino Royale, which I haven't seen yet. Loved the animation. And loved the X-men-ish chase. Everyone says that it was done without wires (except maybe the high rise stuff), which I find totally unbelievable.
2 comments:
ah, you know me so well. I was litterally thinking, "OH, I'm SO jealous!!" when I read the line about you meeting the writer from the musical episode of scrubs. I think I would have wet my pants.
An hour into TD: "She thought I should watch a movie about jailbait, car racing, and faux gangsters?"
The writing! Oh the writing!
Post a Comment