Wednesday, August 01, 2007

An unfortunate incident

Second day on, in one of the big rooms, with a fairly busy pair. And, I was in the room with E, who came off orientation early because we were so short-staffed. I could tell that she was a little nervous, but I reassured her that she would do fine, that she had all the skills do carry her through the day, and provide excellent care to her patients. I'm so proud that she'd been doing so well.

Day went well. Even managed to put in a substantial amount of time into getting the first version of the schedule finalized and printed. E did well,and volunteered to stay over until 2300, since nights was going to be a bit short. At some point I asked her if she was working the next day, and she said that she had the preceptor graduation. A good reminder, although I'd had it penned into my Franklin. Anyway, I told her that I would be there.

Finished work, and changed to go out dancing. Had originally taken a change of clothes to go to the Wed night summer series over in Santa Monica. However, after I read through my juno email accounts (I know, they're old, and not as user friendly as gmail, but I still keep those accounts for certain list-serves), I decided to go to Doug Silton's novice/intermediate west coast swing class, at a location not too far from my place. I've just really taken a liking to WCS, and would like to sharpen up my stylings for when I go to SLC in October.

The class was small, only two leads and two follows, which meant for a lot of personal attention, if not a good variety of leads. We worked on basic WCS styling, and a wide variety of pass-bys ... I liked the double turn ones the best, both in front and behind the leaders. Afterwards, we also worked on a move that they Int/Adv lindy class (which met just prior to the WCS lesson) had done the week previous ... which had a side by side forward movement, cross-handed turn, body stop, and an interesting lat-push by the leads that moved into side by side turns and a shoot-her-out-the-back second half of a whip. Take 5 minutes to describe, and 20 seconds to do. Really good class. Unforturnately, it looks like Doug won't be continuing the class, due to low attendnace.

Didn't change my shoes, but picked up my stuff, and was about to leave. Then, I felt bad about not saying goodbye to one of the leads (who I don't really like, but don't really dislike), so I turned around nad bade farewell just as I was walking through the door. Bad move. I should have listened to my first instinct and kept walking. Because, by turning my attention to the guy, I missed the low step down out of the door. My right foot turned under me as I collapsed, and I followed onto the ground. Ugh ... horrible horrible horrible. After laughing off the event, I slowly walked to my car, becoming surer and surer with each step that I'd badly sprained my ankle.

Got home, and RICE'd my ridiculous injury. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. To which I added my customary dose of advil, for a little non-steroidal anti-inflammnatory action. This does not bode well for the rest of the summer.

No comments: