Sunday, August 26, 2007

The first (and last) picnic BBQ of the summer

As Wilson has noticed, we haven't had a BBQ all summer. Quite sad, really. So, to remedy the catastrophe, I decided to try and squeeze one in. Sent out an email to a bunch of the old stand-by's, and the extracurricular RS ladies. Also invited Canadian Poet, as he was newly back in the area; Viola-trice who I'd invited on a whim, having seen her recently active on linkup; and Neurotrauma, another RN that I'd been introduced to, and who attends my ward, and who I coincidentally sat next to in sacrament meeting. Honestly, I had no idea who was actually going to come, but since I'de made it a potluck event, I figured that if no one did, I wouldn't be the poorer in any way.

Turned out that about 20 people came, which was perfect. Good mix of girls and guys. Six of our married friends blessed us with their presence, and those of their fun kids. And some wonderful people, taking my advice to heart, brought along a friend to add to the mix. Highlights of the evening: getting Mr. Giggles and HSAAL in on my plans for a future party, catching up with Viola-trice and Canadian Poet, hearing about T Diddy's mistaken identity arrest in Paris, putting a face to the author of La Dolce Vespa, finding out that other people were interested in reviving and hosting Safehouse dinners, and talking shop with Neurotrauma (which is a refelction on her nursing specialty, not her mental status).

I've got to say that I love hosting casual potluck dinners. I find that I'm too uptight (especially with non-RSVP-ers) to host seated dinners where I do all the cooking. It wouldn't be too bad if I had a few good friends who were able to commit to an evening. But most people I know have so much going on that it's never a sure thing if they are going to be free. Plus, I'm still in the mode of trying to meet a lot of people and expand my current circle. So, potlucks are perfect. Someday I hope to graduate to the seated dinner.

Anyway, it was a great night. Here's to the resuscitation of fun Safehouse dinners!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

more more more! get working on the blog. what else are we going to do at work besides catch up on your wonderful life? We haven't heard from you in days!

Dora said...

Patience, my friend. Patience.

I am currently enthralled in the land of ECMO. As in, "Oooh, look at the pretty blood flowing in the long, long tubes! Let's make it go round and round!"