Friday, August 24, 2007

Behind the orange curtain again

Haircut with Nicki today. Shears is still out due to more surgery on her foot. Talking with hairstylists while they are working on me is always a little awkward. Firstly, they really aren't generally my close friends, so chitchat is generally shallow and uninteresting. Secondly, there are few things that make me feel less attractive than how I feel while me hair is being cut. No makeup, under bright lights, hair plastered to my head. It's just not pretty.

But today, I was bubbling over with travel plans. And when I told Nicki about everything that was in the works, she called over a German girl that also worked in the shop, and we compared notes on what our plans were. Then, Nicki had her assistant come over and review what she had learned in her most recent class, almost like a mother asking her daughter what she'd learned in kindergarden that day. And it was really cool to hear the assistant try to verbalize the new things that were swirling around in her head, as Nicki guided her through it.

I like the cut. It's really layered, and gives me a lot of options. I'm on the brink of wanting to chop it all off, and have it super short like I did when I graduated from UCI. But maybe I'll be able to forestall the longings. I foresee that I will become a bun-addict like Perky and Charming.

Dropped by quickly at the apartment to get some things (forgetting the cd's I'd meant to give to some OC peeps), and I raced against traffic down to Irvine for Madwoman's birthday dinner. Traffic was not kind. Got down to UCI, got the things for the caprese salad at Trader Joe's (love this place!), and headed off to Madwoman's, since I didn't even know where Pilgrim Girl and Ni-Chan lived, since they'd jut recently moved.

Fabulous to catch up with everyone, having not seen them hardly at all this summer. Not having DOT meetings has been a blessing and a curse this summer. Blessing because I've had much more time to do important things up in LA, which generally got pushed aside when there are regular DOT meetings. It's surprising how much of my Wednesdays were just swallowed up in all the driving. But it's been a curse, since I really do miss the discussion and the friends.

In a couple weeks PG, NC and I leave to go explore Boston for a few days. Then, Madwoman and Poetess join us and we meet up with other Exponent II-er's at the retreat. And after all that, I head over to Raleigh to spend a couple days with Wry-an and Georgia Peach.

No comments: