Friday, August 03, 2007

Gimping around town

Went out to do a few errands. And yes, still gimping around on crutches.

Over to Third Street in Santa Monica to go to REI. New water bottle, and more shirts. See, when I go dancing, I tend to get sweaty. I'm totally jealous of non-sweaty dancers ... although other sweaty dancers console me with the fact (hmmm, really?) that non-sweaty dancers have no other way to dissipate heat, and are far more likely to collapse of heat strain. I'm not so convinced, but it's one of those glass-half-full story options. Anyway, I get sweaty when I dance, which is why I'm most liable to be found near the fans at the front of Lindy Groove, or the side of Paladino's, or where ever the breeze or A/C is strongest. And, I tend to bring at least one back-up shirt whenever I go dancing.

Even more importantly, I'm always on the prowl for active wear (with quick-dry features) that doesn't actually look too much like active wear. Best results tend to come from yoga or dance wear, which don't generally have too much logo junk scattered all over, or outrageously bold stripes of color in all the wrong places, or ugly necklines.

So, when I trialed out my newest find on Monday, I found that it fit the long-enough-in-the-body test, and the quick-dry (ie: doesn't reveal sweatiness) test, and the comfort test, and had sleeves. Thus it was that I headed back to REI where I bought three more of the same shirt (in three different colors), and was relieved that they were still on sale. I believe in going with what works. Huzzah!

Dropped in at the rental management agency and dropped off the rent check that WW hadn't ever gotten around to before she left on vacation. Found TankGirl there, looking for a new apartment, since hers is now basically a mold perti dish ...due to her awful landlord. Got to talking a bit, and now I have a few more names to add to my list of cool women in LA that I'd like to get to know. Huzzah again!

Made a quick stop over at Best Buy. Got Miss Potter (for Sunday night, just in case Jbeany can't loan me hers), and the soundtrack to Once, which I fell in love with months before I ever saw the movie.

Home for a little rest, then over to my PMD for a look-see at the ankle. I really like my Doc. He's about my age (not too young and inexperienced, but not too old ann entrenched), second generation asian, and really listens to me. Plus, he knows that I know what I'm talking about, and lets me get whatever studies I think are necessary, and is good about suggesting things and explaining why. Since my urgent care appointment was so late in the afternoon, I was worried that I wouldn't have time to get the xrays done. When I left his office, I gimped over to the radiology office as fast as was Dorably possible. The front office was shuttered down, and it was with a little panic that I headed to to back, where I saw only a janitor pushing two large trashcans. I was about to get really frustrated, when he pointed to the clerk exiting a door just behind me. Turns out that I was just in time to get the last films (hmmm, does anyone still use actual xray films now that digital xrays are so prevalent?) of the day.

Took my time crutching back to my car, and got myself home. Not long after, Doc called me with the results of the wet (meaning: read and report on ASAP) read: no fractures! Hurray! Of course it's sore, and stiff and still a bit swollen, but I'm going to do everthing possible to get it back in danceable shape as soon as possible!

And, just to finish off the day on a great note, here's a great clip of Jim Minty and Lacey Schwimmer in a Jack & Jill competition. I'm a Jim fan. I like the way he teaches, and the fact that he lets (or is it that he wants it done?) his students post bits of his lessons on youtube. Because really, dancing is all about spreading the love.

1 comment:

Workman said...

They have an REI on 3rd street now? Aw, man! I left too early!