
Spent the morning making a mock-up of Precious' baby shower invitations. Am so excited to do this. We're doing such a nice and low-key shower that it's an absolute pleasure. No ridiculous shower games ... like melting candy bars in diapers in the microwave, and having people guess which candy bar it is ... what a relief! Anyway, after going through several ideas, I finally came up with the perfect one. Just have to make one reservation, then the invites are ready to go.
Came home and set up my printer. This would seem to be a virtue, if only I didn't mention that it's been a few years in the making. Didn't have the appropriate cable, then lost track of the power cable, then just being lazy. It's the free printer that came with my laptop, so I never felt too guilty. However, when I went up to use Wonder Woman's printer, I was struck by the uncomfortablly cramped space it's in now that the rat cage (yes, pet rats!) is situated in her sitting room. And that, my friends, is what motivated me to finally set up my printer!
After such a productive day. I felt that a reward was in order. So, I printed (on my newly set-up printer) one of the irritatingly limited time offer Borders coupons, and got the book I've had my eye on, Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France, by Lucy Moore. I'e had my eye on this for a number of weeks, but my coupons kept expiring before I used them, and I was determined not to pay full price.
While looking around, I also was enchanted by The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science, by Natalie Angier. However, as I was out of coupons, I put it on my mental wish list. Then having gotten home and looked it up on Amazon, I decided to order it, along with
Woman: An Intimate Geography, by the same author. I'm hopeful that these will be as good as the writing of Atul Gawande, whose writing I adore, and who was one of the MacArthur Fellow awardees in 2007.
Anyway, it had occurred to me that I do a lot of book pumping via Amazon. And it never really bothered me. Until I read about The Open Library over at Bored Beyond Belief. And really, it doesn't really bother me enough to stop linking to books over at Amazon. But I'm excited about having books catalogued, and maybe even available on-line. Sort of like an imdb.com for books.
Anyway, someday I will have a house. And in that house will be a library. Maybe not as big as the one in Beauty and the Beast (my favorite Disney animated feature ... yes, woo me with books!), but you get the idea.
And, I must send a shoutout to Wry-an, who got me into reading non-fiction, and who generally has good taste in books ... except for his Flannery O'Connor fetish.
3 comments:
I was just telling Wr-yan I didnt know what to read. The Liberty book perks my interest. I just finished reading a biography on Marie Antionette, so it is right up my alley. Yeah, Flannery is not my fav, either.
Did you like The Botany of Desire?
I like Gawandes stuff too. I like his articles in New Yorker and I read some of "Complications." I'm going to work on the new Kimball biograph. Its suppose to be on par with the "David O Mckay and the rise of modern Mormonism." Lengthen your stride. Thanks for the shout out.
Post a Comment