After work headed up to Pasadena for the first time in a long time. Ankle has been feeling better, if still a little stiff, and I'm ready to dance again.
Hot hot hot! The heat makes everything a little more unbearable. However, the excitement at Lindy Groove is palpable. There must have been at least 200 people taking the beginning and intermediate classes. I'm excited that so many people are learning to dance.
After the lesson, dived right in, and took as many dances as I could handle. Danced two songs in a row with Ben Yau. We kept on missing hand holds during free spins, at which point I would add an extra turn. Ben realized that I'm much taller than most of the follows he dances with, and that he was reaching for my hand much lower than he should have. Or was it that I should have moved my hand lower? Anyway, he complimented me on being a good follow (not stopping [turning, etc] until he lead it), and I glowed.
Had time to dance a couple with His Vickness and Vincerator as well, two of my favorite dancing boyfriends. They are both so fluid and creative. I never feel boxed in by them as we dance.
Cut out around 2145 to go meet Mr. Giggles and Viola-trice just down the street to see Once again. Viola-trice had never seen it before, I'd loaned her my soundtrack at the BBQ, and Mr. Giggles invited me along to a convenient show.
One of the things I love best about this movie is the jamming scenes. As I watched, I felt sad that I am not intimate enough with music to improvise along with other musicians. It seems even more regrettable as I prepare music for Christmas festivities, and wish I were as talented as Hella-Mormon and her friends, who used to have such fantastic piano parties ... someone pounding away at the piano with everyone else moshed in around, trying to sing from the lyrics on the page, or from memory. And yet, I realized that dancing fills this desire for me. A desire to connect and create with another human being. In the space of a few minutes, if the music is right, and the partnership firm, I feel as if I'm creating a link to another human being, where we can express what the music brings out, and even learn something new about myself and the other person.
I also love the ending. I'm a firm believer in carrying out one's duty. In today's world of flaky, irresponsible behaviour, I find comfort in believing that good things come when we fulfill our obligations, and do the things we know are right.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment