Friday, April 21, 2006

Rush blogging: marriage debate

To UCLA for co-sponsored (BYU and UCLA/Williams Institute law) marriage debates specifically on same sex marriage. Stephanie Coontz (Evergreen State College in Olympia, I think) was the runaway hit of the day. Also liked the presentations of Lee Badgett (visiting Prof, Williams Institute), Allan Carlson (President, Howard Center for Family, Religion and Society), Shannon (man, not woman) Minter (Legal Director, National Center for Lesbian RIghts) and Andrew Pugno (Chief Consel, Prop 22 Legal Defense and Education Fund). Lynn Wardle (Prof, BYU) was rather a yawn. And Monte Stewart (President, Marriage Law FOUndation) was terrible.

Dad joined me at the lecture. Talked to him later about how to ask a question, then actually let the respondents give their own responses.

Went over to the ward building to give a swing lesson to the ward. Very fun, even though I was very disorganized. About twenty people at the most. Can always tell the newly marrieds ... they never rotate, and are queer about touching other people. Exasperating. Wish there was some way to tactfully tell them that dancing with a non-spouse does not constitute infidelity. Youth girls seemed to have a lot of fun, and I taught them a few things after all the official teaching done. Glad to have Wonderwoman and White Boy there to demo with, eventhough they came and left at disparate times. Gave the youth girls the cd I made for the night so that they would have something to practice with. Would love it if they continued.

No comments: