Monday, April 03, 2006

Overarching desire






Dinner conversation with Scout and JLITH convinced me to take Monday and visit Arches and Canyonland National Parks. Ginger was initially going to come along, but was unable to when he remembered an important appointment. Thus it was that I had no constraints whatsoever on my time. Woke up a little late, and enjoyed the ride down in the early morning light. Arrived at Arches around 10:30. Sad that the Fiery Furnace hike was all booked up until Wednesday. Comforted myself with being amazed at the towering and brilliant red rock along the twisting initial roads. Took some time to view Park Avenue and the Courtroom, but hurried along to the Devil's Garden for some real hiking. Went out to Landscape Arch, and decided that I felt strong enough for the trek out to the Double O and Dark Angel.

Double O was quite breathtaking, especially the view from the far side. The day was mildly warm, and a bit overcast, but the skies seemed the most brilliant from behind the Double O. The smaller O on the bottom is quite small, and gives one the feeling of looking through lopsided binoculars.

Again, felt good, and continued on Primitive Path out to Dark Angel, which I suppose could look like a heavenly being to some, but looked mostly like a natural phallic symbol ... or maybe I'm just preoccupied. The trail was soft and silty for the most part, with several traverses over rocky areas. Friendly little cairns marked the way, magically appearing whenever those now-where-in-the-dickens-am-I-supposed-to-go-now moments popped up, which happened quite frequently. Today was a good day to be hiking ... populated enough that I felt safe going alone, but knowing that somebody would be probably be along within an hour if I got injured. For most of the Primitive Path, I hiked within shouting distance of a nice couple about my age. They were faster hikers, but I was quicker about figuring out how to manuever tricky spots. About four hours for the whole thing

Drove over to the Delicate Atch trailhead. Rested for a bit, but got restless, so I stopped. For some reason, this trail was more difficult for me than the other. Might have been that I was tired out, dehydrated or that the heat radiating from the rocky paths wore on me ... had to take frequent rest stops as I followed the cairn markers. Must say that the view from the Delicate Arch is amazing. Or else I was breathless from treading the slippery slope around to the base. The arch sits on the opposite end of a funnel-like path, rather eerie, but if the granpa with the cane could do it, so could I. I've heard that sunset is the best time to see the Delicate Arch, so I set in to wait. Then I got restless again. Besides, the idea of hiking back in the dark grew less and less appealing, eventhough I had Bork's flashlight in my pack.

So, I left Delicate Arch (about 2.5 hours roundtrip) and sped my way to catch a few last minute glimpses of Canyonland. Photos don't do it justice. I caught the low angle sunlight on the brilliant red rock, and was dazzled. Drove around and saw a larger view of the canyons, which from that height look like a fantastic, phantasmic hand reaching out of the earthly deeps to grab a bit of the fleeing sunlight.

Left as the sun was bidding its last adieus to the day, about 2000. Must admit that I am a poor night driver, especially when the roads are twisty and unlighted. Again I realize how dependant I am on vision, for learning, pleasure and safety. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't. I would have found any old motel along the side of the road, never mind potential Normans and freaky mothers, and slept it out. But, lacking that perfect hindsight, I plowed on. Found a congenial anonymous caravan buddy and followed her/him, eventhough 75-80 mph is a little bit outside my comfort zone on dark and twisty roads. Had to keep my gaze on the tail lights and reflectors because whenever I lifted my gaze, I imagined vast cliffs in the darkness ahead. At one point, as we passed an industrial area, I hit an animal as it ran across the street. Didn't mean to, I just wasn't able to stop at that particular part of the road. I think I heard it yelp. I felt awful, but didn't stop because I was too terrified off losing my CACB. Is it terrible that I hope it was a fox instead of a dog?

Was so relieved to get near civilized areas nearer to Provo, where there was more light. CACB veered off to get gas, and I gave her/him an unseen salute. Gave another nod to Ginger as I passed Provo, and a thankyou in Scout's direction as I passed Draper. Finally arrived back at JLITH's home and collapsed into bed sometime after midnight.

1 comment:

jana said...

Dora, what a grand adventure! Loved the pictures and the storytelling :)