Saturday, September 16, 2006

Miscellania

Finally, a year later, went to Langer's Deli with Wry-an and Hubbs. Georgia Peach completed the party, making us an even foursome. Langer’s, supposedly the best Jewish deli in all of LA, is located across the street from Echo Park. Whenever I see it, I’m reminded of Grandpa Lee’s death. Not that I was very sad for him when he died … he was old and had been cranky with life (and infirmity) for years. However, as a teenager, I did feel a lingering guilt that I had been at a party the night he died.

Anyway, as the three of us walked to meet Hubbs, it was like being in a different world. Shady guys offering to sell fake driver’s licenses (and being none too discriminate … because it’s been a long time since I’ve looked underage), saints’ candles, painted religious figures, and underwear for sale.

Some fries and pastrami later, and we were all stuffed. I’d tried to order onion rings, but to my great disappointment, there were none to be had. The fries were rather a disappointment … crinkle-cut, frozen things that had none of the freshness I’ve come to expect since my first In-N-Out order of fries. The best thing about the place was our waitress. Didn’t ever catch her name, but she must have been at least sixty, had the most delicious Scottish burr, and a smile as wide as the Atlantic, unselfconsciously displaying teeth that I’ve come to associate with a great lack of regular dental care. Honestly, she was charming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night Wonder Woman, Precious, Superman and I headed over to Universal City Walk to see the So You Think You Can Dance stage show … an early Christmas present from WW and Precious. Absolutely loved it. Many of my favorite dances from the season. Two new duets choreographed by the dancers themselves. And several dances reworked for more dancers than originally choreographed. It was fabulous. Loved it!

No comments: