Finally around 0900, the rain seemed to be light enough that hiking wouldn't be absolutely miserable. Got out of the car, and Lo And Behold! Scout, Portenia (so named because she's from Buenos Aires) and JLITH (an old ATP joker name) were a couple cars down, getting their packs ready. Some quick introductions, and we tried to hurry our way down. HH was a little slow on the upswing, but I should have been so careful.

My pack was heavy. Tent, sleeping bag, mat, mess kit, camel back, camera and case, and a whole lot of other things made it feel lik dead weight on my hips and shoulders. Even before we started descending into the canyon, I was glad that we'd all decided to let the mules carry out packs out. HH and I definitely brought up the rear. I'd like to blame it on my heavy pack, but it's really no excuse. I was the D student of the class. However, it was between being a D student of the Fit group, or the A student of an Unfit group that actually didn't go to places like these. Maybe I should hang out with really unfit people to appear more fit? HH had a legitimate excuse ... too small (and new) hiking boots. We (or at least I) watched enviously as JLITH, Scout and Portenia skipped along the path.
Eight miles later, we reached the convenience store, where snacks and gatorade were purchased from one of the friendly locals. HH bought some water socks, and I was about to buy some Gatorade when I came to the horrible realization that in my haste to leave the top, I had indeed left my baggie of money (and the adjacent one with toilet paper) in the car ... a dismal 8 miles away. I was about to sorrowfully replace the cold (and vibrant red) Gatorade, when JLITH volunteered some of her funds.

Thankfully, Scout was also well prepared in the monetary way, and covered HH and I for the fees ... $57 to camp for two nights, and a jointly-rented mule to pack our things out. After relaxing on the grass, while pretending to play with the friendly cat and dog who sought our caressing hands, we made a quick stop at the cafe, then trudged the remaining 2.2 miles to the campsite. Again, HH and I dawdled. And again, we justified the break with a mini-spate of picture taking.
We caught up with JLITH near the top of Havasu Falls. The water is just so blue. The only thing I've ever seen like it were the waters of the Rio Celeste in Costa Rica. In Havasupai, the waer owes its beauty to lime deposits. The sign says that it’s travertine, which is the same stuff that the Coloseum and the Getty Museum are made of.

After a “break for mini-spate-ing,” we started down the path again. Before we got too far, Scout came bounding up, and offered to take my pack the rest of the way, as he and Portenia had already found a pack and started setting up. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I quickly took him up on his offer. I also might have wanted to slug him when he laughed at how light my pack felt, but restrained myself somewhat admirably. Eventually, we set up camp, and trooped back to Havasu Falls to refresh and clean outselves.

We were in the water by 1615. And yes, it was cold. However, the desire to smell not as bad as we actually did got Portenia and I into the act of lathering up with some of Scout’s biodegradable soap, and plunging into the beautiful water. After a while I got too chilled, but Scout and JLITH made it over to behind the waterfall and took this marvelous photo.
When we finally made it back to the camp, we were all a little chilled. JLITH and DW worked a bit on HH’s camp stove, but the untamable flame (or maybe it was the leaking pipe) became too scary, and we all ended up using Scout’s superiorly designed and simple stove to boil the water for our dehydrated meals. My deal with JLITH was that I would buy the food (and the tent) if she would carry it down (as I would the tent). Imagine my delight when I found a whole line of dehydrated meals on sale for 30% off at REI. We only ended up eating one of the three I brought down. But I don’t think JLITH gave the chicken enchilada and the spicy Thai chicken much of a chance after the beef enchilada. It wasn’t really that bad. Really.
At this point, I think it advisable to mention the animals were are not our friends. This includes all sundry squirrels with giant teeth (THIS BIG, as JLITH would say, that can cut through a backpack strap in alarmingly fast time), scurrying little cute mice who nonetheless are probably carrying diseases, and bats that flit about in the most alarming way. However, of the three, I must say that my most cordial feelings were to the bats, in the hope that they would make the mosquitoes in the area DIE!
Early to bed, since we were all tired. Portenia in Scout’s tent. Scout in his hammock. HH, JLITH and I in my tent. We were all snug as a bug in a rug when it started spitting rain. Groans all around. However, as I tossed and turned for most of the night, I am in a firm position to be able to say that it did not rain hard or long.
No comments:
Post a Comment