Friday, September 15, 2006

MESG: Jill M. Derr on Eliza R. Snow

After recovering from my horrendous night, I dragged myself out of bed, showered, and headed back to Irvine for the Miller-Eccles lecture. Generally I try to go to the one in Los Angeles, but plans tomorrow night (and a great desire to hear about Snow) enticed me south for the second time this week.

Dined with some of the group at Mimi's Cafe ahead of time. Got to meet Professor Derr and her husband. Also there were ArM, RuM, Mr. Critical Thinking, Poetess, Madwoman, Economan, VR and wife, JB and wife, and a few others who I'm not acquainted with. Talked a bit about our respective careers, but what I seem to remember most was the conversation about feminism and mormonism.

Carpooled out to the lecture location out in Anaheim. Drove with VR and Co in his Prius hybrid. I like it, a lot. And if I'd have had the funds to buy one earlier this year, I would have. Sooner or later, we will have to wean ourselves off of oil/gasoline consumption and work towards more sustainable means. Of course it will be painful, and politically and financially charged. But it must happen.

Greatly enjoyed Professor Derr's talk. Eliza R. Snow. Secretary in Emma Smith's Relief Society Presidency. Plural wife of first Joseph Smith then Brigham Young. Never had children. Strong advocate for women's rights AND polygamy. Poetess ... she penned the lyrics of the hymn "O, My Father," which contains one of the few references to Heavenly Mother still evident in the LDS sphere. Crossed the plains. The second Relief Society President in the history of the church. Brigham Young's right-hand person. The part that fascinated me the most was the discussion of female venues of power within the early church, and how she ended up taking the Smith name.

Apparently Snow enjoyed a fair amount of influence as one of BY's wives, and as RS president. She had an active hand in fashioning the lives of the saints, especially the women and children, in the Salt Lake Valley. However, when the general presidencies of the auxiliaries were set up, it seems as if defining the authority therein had a paradoxical limiting effect. Yes, she was defined as the top woman, but with a more limited scope of influence. Also interesting that she took the name Smith after BY died. Maybe because the BY marriage was not consummated, but one of powerful convenience? Maybe because she always thought of JS as her one (ironically) true love? Maybe as a bid for power as her influence diminished after BY died?

After the lecture ended, VR and Co were anxious to leave, and I was not opposed. It got me out to Atomic Ballroom that much quicker, for some long awaited dancing. Atomic is okay. Not fantastic like LG, but okay. Met and danced a bit with Slim Jim. Saw Buddy Schwimmer (self-proclaimed?) King of Swing out, but did not see him dancing. Danced with a couple new faces. If I were ever in Irvine on a Friday night, I'd go again.

No comments: