
Went out to Denver, Colorado for the Contemporary Forums Pediatric Critical Care Conference. I generally try to make it every other year ... especially when they have it at a location other than the west coast.
I'd planned on staying in a hostel, and using my money for renting a car to get around. However, Perky's family lives just outside Denver, and I was invited to stay! Even luckier, Perky was in town for her high school reunion, which made it a little smoother.
Denver airport is a large affair, with a subway-ish train that transports people between terminals. By the time I'd gotten to the rental car shuttle stop, I'd resigned myself to having to report for my flight earlier than I wanted. However, I had a nice little surprise waiting for me at Payless Rental ... a free upgrade to a sexy PT Cruiser convertible! Of course I didn't have a hat to shield off the sun, and it was going to be too prohibitively cold to have the top down, but I felt an immediate gloss of cool come over me when I slipped into the driver's seat.
Driving out to Perky's on the backroads was so picturesgue that I often forgot to read the directions, and had to turnabout several times. Farmhouses, lots of sunflowers, and a good deal of sunshine. When I finally made it to Perky's home, her mother ML made me feel very welcome. Got my stuff settled in and made my way to the city to figure out where everything was. I'm just the kind of girl that needs a little prep time.
Got off of the freeway and coasted past Coors stadium. Must confess that It threw me a little to have the beer brand so prominently displayed. Made my way into the heart of downtown and navigated through the one-way street that are one of my many personal trials. Found the Marriot and nearby parking, ate dinner at a little Vietnamese Grill, and wandered around 16th Street. Sought solace at the Barnes and Noble, where I found my dinner companion for the next few days ... The Bookseller of Kabul.
No comments:
Post a Comment