Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ch-ch-changes

Worked on my exponent post until it was in fairly reasonable shape. Did NOT immediately post it like I did two weeks ago, and thus did NOT mistakenly post on AmyB’s day.

Drove down to Irvine. Stopped at Trader Joe’s for dinner fixings, and then on the Pilgrim Girl and Nichan’s place. And waited. And waited some more. Sometime around 1730, just after calling into the apartment to make sure they hadn’t slipped in past me, I get a call from PG. Running late, Harry had trouble at the orthodontist’s.

Dinner with Pilgrim Girl and the two kids (Nichan is taking Wed night classes this semester) was on me tonight. Caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, chopped basil, mini red and golden tomatoes, pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil), garlic bread and mushroom risotto. Not a whole lot of cooking, but oh so tasty. PG also had some garlic spread that we used liberally, which I intend to get some of at ... you guessed it, Trader Joe's.

VR was leading tonight's discussion on the religiosity of college-aged students. Apparently he had been involved in a study that conducted surveys on daily religious involvement of college freshmen around the country. The data he shared with us had two subsets: LDS (at non-church sponsored schools, interestingly enough) and all other students. Questions asked about daily practices, political beliefs, social justice, spirituality, etc. The LDS students seemed much more willing to identify experiences as spiritual, and much less willing to do anything with regards to social justice.

As usual, the discussion was lively and engrossing. And as I looked around the group, I was sudden;y struck at how quickly it is changing. Tall Spaniard already left. Mr. Critical Thinking and Poetess will be leaving in the summer, and who knows about all the rest. Contemplating the changes made me sad. This interlude has been so idyllic ... having this unique space in which to discuss and examine difficult theological (and cultural) principles has been a such a relief and a period of growth in spiritual and intellectual knowledge, that I am very reluctant to have it change at all. And yet, I do hope that it will be sustainable. That as the failiar crowd moves on (hopefully becoming professors around the country and starting their own Outhouse Intellectual groups), new faces will join in and enliven the discussion even further. I can think of a couple of new people that I'm very interested to get acquainted with. So, change is in the air. We shall see what it brings.

1 comment:

jana said...

I don't think I every properly thanked you for the dinner you cooked at my place. Oh, was it good! And John loved the salad, despite the tomatoes! He polished a whole container off at work the next day :)