Through bleary eyes, I saw the alarm clock. 0900. Much too early. And yet my bosy wanted to get up! So I did. Breakfasted, and started laundry ... I glisten a bit too much when I dance, and running up and down metro stairs, and peeling off and on the layers to keep my body temperature at a reasonable level. And then I was ready for bed again.
Woke up again at noon. Email from Pas telling me where to meet to go to Versaille for the dance class that he and his partner Sandrine are teaching. Hurry to get ready. Get out to Gare St. Lazare, and can't figure out which train I'm supposed to take! I thought it was the RER, but none of those were goign to Versaille. Finally made it to the long distance train area, and then freak out because I have to buy a ticket. Look back in the corrider, and find an automated machine to buy ticket, which turns out to be the wrong one. In the end, it doesn't matter, because the train is just pulling away from the station as I'm rushing toward it! What could I do but laugh. Then go to the nearby Tabac and buy a phone card. And look for a pay phone and call Pas on his cell, on the train that just left. He laughs as well, and gives me directions from the train station to the studio. I get off the phone, and see the ticket machines that line the train gates! Buy the correct ticket, and board the net train to Versaille Rive Droit just 30 seconds before the train doors close.
The directions Pas gave me are good, although they didn't seem to make much sense on the phone. When I finally arrive at the address, I'm early at the meeting place. So, I had time to switch my shirt front side front (instead of front side back!). Alexandre comes to bring me, since Pas and Amandine have already started the lesson. It's a bit of a walk, and you guessed it, I start to glisten a bit.
Lesson is fun. Five girls and four guys, so Pas has to step in. It's good to be in the classes, eventhough I know a lot of what's being taught. It's good to get the basics, makes me feel like I'm finally getting the foundation that I've missed. After the class, Innis (sp?) gives me and Pas a ride back to Paris for some more early evening dancing.
The place is a small dance studio, and the feel is casual. There are a few children, lots of refreshments, and the dancing only goes until 2100. I sit out the first bit, watching some of the more accomplished dancers, wishing I had the courage or dance-ability to ask them, or get them to ask me. Few dances with Pas, but I don't want to hang on him too heavily. Then it starts shaping up. Tall grey-haired guy with the great smile that I've been admiring askes me to dance. Turns out that he's only been dancing for 5 months, but I'll bet that he's spent a few years doing salsa or tango, just by the way he holds his right hand on his abs. I just love it when someone I want to dance with just ups and asks me. It's like winning the lotto.
Many other dances. The two guys from the class dance with me a bit, but they sometimes have trouble following the beat. More dancing with SGLP, who is great at the blues stuff. Dance one with a guy that Leticia described as the biggest a--hole she knows ... he's not good enough to justify the attitude. And dance a bit with Laurent (at least I think that's his name ... I'm not good with names), who is a lindy/bal dancer who's been learning WCS for the past 6 months or so. Laurent is very good ... good connection and dances with the music and isn't a slave to patterns. We even try a little bal out by the food, but the song is way too fast. Much better to get back into WCS with lindy overtones. I watch an eccentric couple play around with lindy and Charleston, and they are quite good. I don't know what the other dancers make of them, but they were fun to watch.
Last song of the night was "Secret" by Maroon 5, which is one of my favorite songs to dance to, with SGLP. So good. Moving with the music, and incorporating the blues. Love it! Talking later with Pas, and turns out that he filmed and edited the youtube clip of J&T that I like so much. I've never posted the clip before, since J&T look so strung out, but the dancing is good.
Again, Pas found someone to give us rides (Pas doesn't drive). Celine, who is also in the car, asks if I'm going to the WCS event the next weekend. I tell her that I want to, but that I couldn't register on-line, and that Laurent was worried that the follow spaces were all full. And so, she makes a call, and arranges it for me! How kind. She also points to a little club down the street and tells me that she will be there on Thursday night for east-coast-swing-like dancing. I'm not that into ECS anymore, but it will be fun to check out, since I don't have any plans for Thurs, and it's so close. Back near my place, Pas suggests going to dinner, and we find a French restaurant (as opposed to the many ethnic restaurants in the 5eme arrondisment) that's nice and not too expensive, and just around the corner from my apartment. Chef's menu dinner for two for under 50 euro isn't too bad, and the food is pretty good. French onion soup, salmon with veggies, and creme brulee for me. It's raining pretty hard when we leave the restaurant, but Pas just sticks is cap on his head and enjoys it.
Get up to the apartment, and my legs are shot. Quick shower and in bed by 0015. Class in the morning!
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Pre-scouting dancing opportunities before a trip... much respect! So is this really a language trip or a dancing trip? :-)
Are you eying a professional dancing career. Glad your dancing to the wee hours in the morning in Paris.
-ryan-
So what if it's a dancing trip as well?
Actually, if it was really a dancing trip, I would have come earlier, so I could be back home for Swing Diego.
Anyway, I've had to make the most of the dancing while I can. My two friends here who have been getting me rides are going to be at Swing Diego in just a little bit. That's the one thing I don't like about the metro is that it shuts down around 22:00, which makes night-time excursion difficult. Yes, there is the Noctilien (night buses), but they are not as frequent, and exponentially more difficult to understand. Besides, the Le Moving club is out in the suburbs in the 3rd zone, and takes a while to get to and from! It wouldn't be worth it to go for just the time I can to travel on the metro.
Besides, I had to dance enough to justify packing clothes and shoes especially for dancing. No joke, my bags feel huge, and I'm not relishing travelling with them to London. I pared down as much as possible. And since I won't be dancing the last two weekends in Paris (how can I come home and shower at 0400 when there are other people sleeping in my tiny studio apartment), I had to make the most of the first two weekends.
At least it's not Lima. There, the clubs are open until something like 05:00!
Post a Comment