Up early, but still left an hour later than I'd hoped.
Bought Le Passport: All Versaille entry, plus RER tickets.
Long lines at Versaille. We got into a line for timed tickets, and I got worried that we would get sent back, but it all merged at the front, and we passed in without incident.
Luxe. All the rooms sort of mash together. Didn't think I would like the Hall of Mirrors, but it is just beautiful, despite all the trimmings. Didn't know that queens gave birth before an audience in order to quell murmurings of heir tampering. No wonder Marie Antoinette wearied of the pomp and circumstance of the Versaille court, and wanted a separate area. Loved the dandelions that grow haphazardly over her grounds. I waxed romantically, and thought it was so fitting that the Sun King's wife had the sunny yello flowers strewn all over her grounds. Sun in the yellow flowers, moon in the puffballs.
Rented a bike as Superman recommended, and rode around the Grand Canal. It's been so long since I've been on a bike, and mine was a little rickety ... thought I might end up with a skinned elbow or two. But I was fine. It was like flying. So refreshing and delightful. With the music playing, I felt as if I could have been a courtier promenading around the magnificent grounds.
Walked a bit around the gardens (no bikes allowed). Love the music and the fountains spraying, especially the Enceladus fountain, which seemed to be bellowing operatic music with the water spray.
Orangerie was just lovely.
And I love hedge rows.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dora, Its not a vacation without getting an injury! Keep the posts coming.
No need to fear, things have been hurt. My count:
2 bruised toe nails from lots of dancing.
Knee slightly tweaked at the end of dancing.
1 cut on my right index finger.
And my aunt got her feelings hurt. She cried twice that I know of.
They are leaving in 10 minutes, and I can just taste the freedom. I loved having my mom here, and I mostly liked having my aunt here. But I am glad to have more physical and emotional space around me!
Post a Comment