Saturday, April 26, 2008

Paris Day 16: Taking some space (cliffnotes)

Went to the open market across the street for mom and Aunt Yo to have a look-see. Found some of the salad greens that I've been relishing at restaurants.

Out to Arc de Triomphe. Neither Aunt Yo nor mom wanted to go inside, so I skipped it yet again.

Walked for a bit along the Champs Elysee. But having gone a block or two, Aunt Yo was ready to be done.

Took metro to start of the garden area of the Champs Elysee.

Then took the metro out to Place de la Concorde, and walked a bit in the Tuillerie. But Aunt Yo didn't want to walk anymore. So, we exited the park and took the metro back to my apartment.

At the intersection of two lines, Aunt Yo decided that she was okay to go back to the apartment by herself (she had to be back in time to change and get ready for her JW meeting ... she's extremely devout and ALWAYS goes to [at least] weekly meetings, no matter where in the world she is). So, we let her go!

Mom and I went out to Montmartre!!! Was going to take the funiculaire, but mom said that she was okay to climb the stairs, so we did. Seemed as if everyone in Paris was out on the butte. However, the view from the top was amazing.

Sacre Coeur was, as MeMc said, a little jewel box of a church. I loved the modern-ish stained glass. It reminded me a little of the stained glass wonder in Morocco. We rested a bit and cooled off and contemplated the Byzantine splendor of the interior.

After, we walked and found the Musee de Montmartre. Fascinating. I wish more of it was in English. Or that I understood more French. Or that I'd read up on it more before coming. The subject is going on my reading list.

Walked a bit and saw the oldest moulin, which is now a restaurant. Skipped the Moulin Rouge.

The Abbesses metro station has the longest spiral staircase of any metro station I've ever been in!

Dinner at Le Partage, the restaurant on the ground floor of my building. Indo-Pakistani food. The head-waiter (owner?) had invited me earlier in my stay. Very nice. Wanted to bring us (alcoholic) drinks, but since we don't drink, he brought us specialty juices instead. Food very good. Took a very long time to get the check, Is it politeness to let us have the table for the entire night? Nice, but what I really wanted to do was go to the RER station and buy the tickets for Versaille. Aunt Yo came home from her meeting just after we'd ordered dessert. A little over an hour from that time, mom left to go upstairs because she couldn't wait to go to the bathroom any longer. Finally got the check, paid, and hiked over to St. Michel, but the caisse was closed. Oh well.

No comments: