Wednesday, June 20, 2007

And now we'll take a little break for some screaming

WooooooooHoooooooo!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh!

Haaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Wootwoot-can-I-hear-a-wootwoot!

Ahem ...

Yes. This morning I took and passed the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses CCRN pediatric critical care exam. And PASSED! (Repeat first four lines above).

Took a review course at my work a few years ago, and freaked out at the amount and intricacy of the material covered by the test. Didn't take the exam ... pushed it to the back of my mind and let it simmer. But I've lately had more incentive to bring the pot to a full boil.

My hospital is now applying for Magnet status. There's been a huge surge to improve the nursing staff and conditions ... lots of multidisciplinary committees, pushes to increase education, more nursing research projects, and encouragement to get additional certifications. So, my unit started a display in the hall with all the names of the CCRN nurses. So far there are about ten names. Now there will be eleven. And yes, while I don't generally like to admit to being that competitive and that petty that I'd rush to get my name on before a lot of others, I freely admit it in this instance.

Stopped posting on Exponent Blog to concentrate on studying (albeit ofttimes lackadaisically). Took half of the review course again. Sat for a practice exam. Listened to review mp3's until I thought I'd scream. And took this week off work to get in the last little bits of nitty gritty before the exam and my annual trip to Arrowhead.

Thoughts on the test? They're all given via computer at authorized testing centers. Like FK suggested, as soon as I stepped to my desk, I started jotting down notes on the provided scratch paper: ABG interpretation tips, heart chamber/vessel pressures, normal CSF test values, etc. The test was difficult. But that's really the point, isn't it? Found that I hate taking multiple choice tests on computer ... when it came to those questions where we had to choose the best answer out of several correct ones, I had to literally write down ABCD on my scratch paper and cross out the ones I was able to eliminate. I had difficulty with the cardio section because there were so many questions on cardiothoracic pre- and post-op patients ... which we rarely see because they go to the CTICU and not the PICU. However, I did really well in the Pulmonary, GI, Renal, Multisystem and Professional/Synery areas.

When I got my results, I uttered an elated "Yes!" under my breath. This swelled to a normal voice when I stepped outside the office. And became full on screaming when I got into my car! Turned up the radio loud (ahh ... my long lost friend the radio ... I can't wait to be reunited with NPR morning news), and alternatingly head bopped, screamed and laughed for about ten minutes. I think I stopped because the oxygen in my car ran out. The guy in the next car was pretty amused.

Got an hour Thai massage on the way home to celebrate.

And then, watched SYTYCD tonight. I LOVE THIS SHOW. I don't really want anyone to go home. Thoughts on the show (during which I indeed laughed, gasped and occassionally screamed):

Jessi and Pasha (jazz) ~ He is such a comic, and moves so well. Loved how he completes movements, like continuing his hand down her arm after the music finished. They were both sinuous and staccato per the wonderful choreography.

Sabra and Dominic (contemporary) ~ Amazing choreography paired with amazing partnering. When she did that foot pull, it looked like she actually slid him across the floor, eventhough he was really pushing with his arms. Such intricate, innovative and powerful movements. I was in awe.

Lacey and Kameron (Broadway) ~ The routine was okay. However, Lacey is really good at emoting while dancing, at least on the two choreographed pieces she's been on so far. I agree that he moue-ing during the auditions wasn't attractive. And, as much as I think Kameron's beautiful and is a good partner to Lacey, he doesn't seem to move as well when he's on his own. Plus, his shirt was ridiculous. They should have had him wear a vest.

Anya and Danny (Viennese waltz) ~ That reverse attitude spin was truly amazing. Anya is such a lovely dancer. I'm interested in seeing her do hiphop and contemporary. Didn't like the slapdash slashing of shiny material on her costume, but I guess it's less expensive than sewing on sequins just where they want them. Danny has such beautiful lines, but sometimes he just looks stiff and unnatural. Plus, as Wonder Woman astutely pointed out, he seems really cold.

Sara and Jesus (paso doble) ~ Thought the ballroom dance set to contemporary music was genius. His posture was a lot better than hers.

And even Neil (hip hop) and Jaimie (samba) stepped it up by performing so well out of their genres.

And lastly, although it didn't involve any screaming whatsoever, I went to the book club sponsored by my unit at work. It was held at FB's house, which was one of the major motivations, since she's just wonderful. And, Phillip Hawley, Jr, the author of Stigma was going to attend. It was really interesting to hear him talk about his writing process, and how the book eventually got published. Amazingly, Stigma is Hawley's debut book. Wrote it in his spare time. Had a friend look at it, who had another friend look at it, and two years later, it's published and selling at Costco (not that Costco is a purveyor of fine literature, but the book was just that promising). And so it is that a practicing pediatrician now has a contract with a major publishing house. Fabulous. And I have the autographed book to prove it.

5 comments:

Jahn said...

Wow. Good for you! I wonder what the first-time success rate is?

John White said...

Congratulations! Did you spend time doing the new look on your blog instead of studying? :-)

jana said...

yeehaw!! your rock!

Renee said...

Congrats Sandra!!! Whoo hooo!! I'm so proud of you. On an unrelated note...I miss watching SYTYCD with you (even the gasping and screaming). I'm sitting here watching the results show right now (sans tivo...yuck) and it's just not the same without you!! Miss you!

Unknown said...

Congrats super nurse!