Went out dancing last night. Got my fix. Hmmm ...
I have a hard time explaining swing dancing to people. Most people get some really lame vision of east coast swing in their minds when I talk about swing dancing. Something like this. And when I say lame, I don't mean the dancers are lame. Obviously they're beginners, and everyone has to start somewhere. They're only lame if that is where they stay forever.
Or, for those who may have a little knowledge about Harlem, they may picture something like this, which are Whitey's Lindy Hoppers at the height of savoy style. Incredibly athletic and not how I see myself dancing in my wildest dreams.
The last time I searched, I found this clip, which I rather liked. It represents west coast swing, but the stylings at lindy groove are a hybrid between the first and second dance. Without all the hair flipping. And, as much as I hate the song, I like this routine a lot.
But, this morning I found two more gems.
This one was good. No idea where it was from. Mostly lindy infused with blues. What I'd likely see at Lindy Groove or Speakeasy Blues. (Note: when I dream about dancing, I dance like Emily H.)
And, for those of you who may be interested in blues dancing, it can look like this (Rhythmic Arts Festival Blues competition). I liked the first and last couples. Although, I rarely see as much dragging as the first couple did. However, most of the dancing had a hefty dose of lindy in it. And, there are some of the same dancers as in the previous clip.
So, if a picture is worth a thousand words, is a video clip worth a million? Well, with such low resolution, I might have to knock it down to 500,000.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks so much for the links...I've often tried to imagine the way that you dance, and I think I was a bit off (I was picturing something a bit more Happy Days 50s-ish).
Hmmm ... very glad to have corrected the misconception. Very.
Oh man, I almost wish I hadn't seen those clips. Very intimidating.
Post a Comment