It rained today. First time in a long time. And ordinarily I would not find it remark-able enough to write about here. Except that I had to drive out to Glendale and Pasadena today. And a little bit of rain was enough to ruin my plans.
Perhaps I should explain. California is the Sunshine State. Especially in Los Angeles, we are unused to such oddities of precipitous weather patterns. So it is that, when water actually falls from the heavens, it is An Event. Romantic people with the penchant to be wet go out for long walks in the rain. Those with more of an inclination for sunshine await the day when the rain had gone, and we can all enjoy cleansed air for a few days. Hikers rejoice because the trails will be slightly less dusty, and the views from local mountains will be lovely. And those who drive (read: everyone) start panicking.
Angelenos just don't know how to drive in the rain. Besides creating pools of water over which hydroplaning is possible, our window wipers are just not used to such vigorous activity. When it rains, Angelenos who are used to activating their window wipers solely to clear off the morning dew, are generally loathe to find out that the black, previously flexible plastic has been baked into adobe by the constant sunshine, and is relatively useless at swiping away the rain on a leisurely drive down the freeway. And I do mean leisurely. What could be more leisurely than 10 mph eastbound on the 10?
So, there I was. Having left a little late for my 1700 hair appointment. Creeping along the 10 freeway. At 1650, it became blindingly clear that I wasn't going to make my appointment, seeing as it was in Glendale, and I had yet to transition to the 110, I made the call to Shears and explained my predicament. Relieved to find that she could take me the next afternoon. She was also relieved, because that meant she could leave early to prepare for her dinner party. So, we were relieved all around. And no, I didn't just turn around and go home. What, and waste the 45 minutes I'd already paid to the jealous freeway gods? No, I continued with my tribute, and made my way up to Pasadena for a night of terrific dancing.
Left Lindy Groove at midnight after the closing song. And serenely made my way home through the clean air and empty freeway. Aaaaaahhhhh ...
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment