Yes, Christmas and New Year’s was a couple weeks ago. I realize that. However, when the spirit (of who … Martha Stewart?) moves me to move furniture, I must comply.
Let me explain a bit, so that I don’t sound like a completely obsessed and compulsed person. Like most people, I associate New Year’s with new beginnings. And a desire to clean house. I tend to think of this as a Japanese tradition, from all that my grandmother ingrained in me. And while I’m sure that there are plenty of cultural traditions that allow for cleaning out one’s house in preparation for the new year, it will always be associated most closely with my maternal heritage.
Added to this cultural training, I also have a personal investment in mixing things up every once in a while. In college, I would rearrange the furniture in my bedroom about twice a year … just to get a new outlook on the possibilities. And because rearranging furniture was significantly less expensive than buying new furniture. And now that I am gainfully employed, I like to keep up the tradition, and couple it with mega-cleaning and sorting, of the Trash. Deseret Industries, and Save For Future Unknown Applications varieties. Because rearranging furniture is still significantly less expensive than buying new furniture.
So, I’d been feeling the stirrings of the spirit (funny, she’s also an ex-con) for a couple of weeks, but I’d managed to put it off. Too busy. Not enough time. I’ll do it later.
On Monday I went to work, and worked really hard. I mean, really hard. ECMO on the Cardiothoracic ICU. Baby with an open chest, heart visibly beating through a clear, betadine-stained patch, bedside surgery, continuous administration of various blood products, many pump adjustments, walking air out of the circuit, etc etc. Hectic and draining. After work I went home and crashed. Woke up the next morning and got myself to work.
Except that I wasn’t scheduled. And they were fully staffed. And I bounced out of the hospital, enthused at having the day off. Spent some quality time at Target and Trader Joe’s. And when I got home, the spirit of Martha moved so strongly that I had no excuse to delay any longer. So, on went the Christmas music from my ipod (just to give the day the right ambience), and I was in for the long haul. The bed went up against as as-yet-untried wall, and everything else followed like pieces in a puzzle. Martha was appeased. And I feel good. Closets and storage newly reorganized. Lots of space. My car trunk full of things to donate to DI. I still have to tackle the books, but they’re all on shelves, and resting comfortably just now. And now for a well deserved rest …
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment