Monday, January 22, 2007

Bite me (Or, I just can't get enough)

I'm a lip biter. Yes, I admit it. I'm a lip biter. Nooooo, not of others' lips (at least, not yet). No, I just bite my own lip. When I'm nervous, or when my lips are chapped, I bite my lip (I'll leave it to you to guess which situations merit which type of lip biting). Anyway, it's generally of the non-injurious type, and I can stop anytime I want to. Really.

However, 2007 has not been good for me in terms of lip biting. Since the new year, I have bitten myself, on the inside of my lip, in the same place, no fewer than four times. And it's gotten rather painful. In fact, I've been trying to move my teeth as little as possible these days. Taking really small bites. Opening my mouth just enough to slip my toothbrush in sideways when I brush at night. Giving up chewing the cool green apple gum that I love. All because I literally can't get enough ... of me.

So, if you happen to see me walking down the street, or driving in my car, and it looks like I'm sticking my tongue out at you, but that it didn't quite make it past my lips ... I hope you realize that I'm just applying inner pressure against my wound, and that you pray for me that I don't actually bite my tongue off, because that would really bite the big one (so to speak).

No comments: