Monday, January 29, 2007

It's not easy being green


Kermit was right. It’s not easy being green.

A while ago, Pilgrimgirl posted a link to a site to measure one’s eco-footprint. I didn’t even look at the link, because I knew my footprint would be huge. And I didn’t really want to think about it.

However, the other week I stumbled upon this post by Artemis over at FMH, and I knew it was time to, “Take It To The Next Level.” Reading over how people are pointedly changing their behavior to have less impact on the earth made me feel so incredibly wasteful and selfish.

One of the issues that really struck me was water conservation. I remembered how severely we all tried to conserve water during the drought in southern California in the early 90’s. Taking short showers with water saving shower heads. Dying lawns. Looming threat of wildfires. Putting filled and sealed jars of water in the toilet ranks to use less water with each flush. Bigfoot intoning, “Yellow is mellow, brown is down.” I’m sure there are more and better ideas out there, but that is what I remember doing. And yet, I no longer do these things. I’ve returned to my old habits.

So, I’m trying to be better.

I got two canvas bags from Trader Joe’s to use in place of paper or plastic. I keep them in my trunk. And every once in a while, I remember to get them out before I’ve gotten to the store front, thus avoiding the sheepish trek back and forth.

I’ve gotten a recycling container to keep next to the kitchen trash, and am educating roommates and friends to place bottles and cans inside. At this point, there is no convenient place to take them for recycling. However, I do as Wilson does, and leave them in a drawstring bag for the trashbin scavengers (this sounds like a very pejorative term, but I am really grateful that there are such people, and happily contribute to their financial welfare and to conservation).

I’m turning off lights. I’ve been really bad about falling asleep with the light on, etc. However, with the new room arrangement, and by digging out an old extension switch, I’ve rigged up a reading light that’s easy to manipulate, and I’m getting better.

I’m taking my meals to work. So, I’m not eating at the cafeteria, eating better food, and not using Styrofoam, plastic covers, and plastic utensils every day. I bring a bowl and silverware from home. Confess that I do also bring frozen dinners for lunch. The next goal is to get back into cooking more … but that’s not on this level.

And, I’m trying to get things fixed in the apartment. Things like cracked windows, non-working plugs, doors, etc, that will lead to better insulation and less natural as usage. Because our bill this last month was $216!

And, we’re getting rid of the land telephone line. All of us have cellular phones, and paying $15 each a month for telemarketers to leave annoying messages is just not working for me. Really, that’s a full-price movie and small popcorn once a month … if I were so inclined.

So, I’ll start from here. It’s not easy being green. But I’m trying.

No comments: