Being that it was FGITW's birthday today, and being that we were both free, I was finally able to take her out to lunch at Sushi Nozawa. I've been wanting to share this find with her for a while, but could never find a time when she, I and Nozawa were all free. And frankly, Nozawa was the most problematic one.
Sushi Nozawa. Little dive place in Studio City. Only open two hours for lunch, four and a half hours for dinner, and only during the week. Only one sushi chef. Rather pricey. No take-out. And yet, it's the best sashimi I've eaten in the US. So fresh and tasty. My favorite is the chisai maguro (or little tuna): exquisite slices of fish served with scallions and ponzu sauce. Sugoku oishi desuyo!
Anyway, we sat at the bar, which is an experience in and of itself. At the bar, one can only eat Omakase style. Which basically means that you eat whatever Nozawa puts in front of you. The sushi rice is warm (hence the no take-out rule), and the nori (when he uses it) is crisp. And the sashimi ... heavenly.
At the bar, FGITW talked about Allen Say, boys and men, and cabbages and kings. And then she charmed Nozawa with her flawless Japanese, blonde hair, and winning ways. At one point he gestured to a patron behind us and shouted, "No phone! No phone in here!" And then muttered to us about the abominable manners of American people who talk on cell phones. FGITW quietly reached in her purse and put her phone (which she is never without) on vibrate. I wanted to turn around and see the lady with the abominable manners, but was too chicken that he'd bust me for staring.
Anyway, it was a great way to spend the day. Scrumptious sashimi and some good soul talk with my Japanese sister.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment