Saturday, August 26, 2006

The good, the bad, and the funny ...

The Good
Dancing ... three nights in a row. Lindy Groove Thursday. Fabulous night. White Stretch J even asked me to dance. Friday at Paseo Colorado. Live music, professional dance floor, white lights and twinkling stars overhead, and plenty of people to dance with. A fantastic venue, and I'm so sad that this was the last one this summer. PBDA on Saturday. Jumpin Joz on the bandstand, lots of dances, and some old familiar faces: Shane (all cleaned up) and Carmen (oh those fabulous Suzy Q nights).

Hiking the Corral Canyon Trail, then having lunch at Malibu Seafood. The refreshing breeze, bright sun, and sparkling ocean were just the ticket to start getting ready for Havasupai.

Dinner with Wry-an on Saturday night. Who knew he liked sushi? There are some people I like in big groups, and some I like in very small groups. Wry belongs in the latter, and it's good to have face time every once in a while.

The Bad
Being in charge on Wed. Awful day at work. So awful that the only thing to do was laugh and plug on with it. Six planned surgeries. Five of which actually came. An unplanned post-op. And an unplanned ED admission. Blessings to DG who bought a package of Hershey kisses to ease the craziness.

Work on Thursday. Started as team leader and hoped for no patient load so that I could go to the presentation on Emma Smith. However, I had to take over a patient at 1730. Then, French MD had to come in and examine because of complications. Funny to hear him use my name several times (a first, although we see each other all the time). In fact, it's rare for me to call the docs by their names unless I especially like or admire them. Actually, since we have so many attendings, fellows and residents, it's rare for me to actually make the effort to remember their names unless they are a resident who has become a fellow, or an attending that I deal with on a regular basis.

The Funny
Mini-hulk introducing me to a friend, and discovering that we both used to attend Ren Faire at Glen Saint Helen, and both love _Ender's Game._

Realizing how lame I can be. After chatting with Jim2 in the cafeteria, then seeing him in the deserted eating area (practically parked right in front of the cash register, all by himself), I just couldn't make myself sit down at the same table and have brunch. Of course I really wanted to. Really. But I just couldn't do it. I contented myself with flashing him a cute (I hope) grin as I walked past, and went upstairs to the lonely nurses' lounge. And if you believe me when I say that I contented myself, I have some beach front property you should look at.

No comments: