Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Word Play


Says You! A childish retort, and also the title of a radio program that keeps me sitting in my car long after I've parked in front of my apartment. Word play at its best, along with plenty of balderdash, bluff, wit, and obscure references to things you've certainly heard about at some point in your life, but decided weren't worth remembering.

Last night I sat in my car listening to the end of the show, unable to tear myself away from the piece on pneumonics. See if you can't figure out some of these.

1) May I have a large hamburger.

2) RICE

3) WASPLEG

4) Kinky People Can Often Find Good Sex

5) Oh, Oh, Oh! To Touch ... sorry, this one is so dirty that I can't in good conscious finish it.

Funnily enough, AR at work was just talking about the dirty pneumonics that medical students have used for ages to try and remember all that anatomy and physiology. #5 is a pneumonic used to remember the cranio-facial nerves ... olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochlear, trigeminal, abducent, facial, vestibulocochlear, glossopharyngeal, vagus, accessory and hypoglossal. And yes, I did have to look them upon-line. It's been a long time since college.

#4 - How to remember the classification for living organisms. Kingdom, phyllum, class, order, family, genus, species. Who said biology's not sexy?

#3 - The seven deadly sins. Wrath, avarice, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony. Could come in very handy when confronting temptation. Or would just repeating them make one more susceptible?

#2 - What to do when one has a sprain/strain. Rest, ice, compression, elevation.

#1 - Pi. 3.14159. So, the show actually used "cup of coffee" in place of hamburger, but that is erroneous, and a slur on William Jones, who first used it in its modern context, and his mathematical forebears, the Egyptians and Babylonians.

Anyone else got any others?

4 comments:

Jahn said...

Sitting here gwg. I got halfway thru before it dawned on me that you were writing about "mnemonics". :-)

Here's another one: HOMES

What's that? :-)

Dora said...

Ha! The laugh's on me! I'm so used to "pneumonia" that I didn't even think before I typed.

So, what is HOMES?

Dora said...

Ha! The laugh's on me! I'm so used to "pneumonia" that I didn't even think before I typed.

So, what is HOMES?

Jahn said...

That's the mnemonic for the Great Lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior.