Posted this yesterday on the Exponent II blog. Mostly in a response to bad behavior I see on some various discussions in the bloggernacle and on linkup. Interesting comments. Two of the worst offences (lately) are
1) Overzealous preachiness
2) Irritating solicitations for sympathy.
Overzealous preachiness. Some bloggers irk me to no end. Their stagnant inability to consider the experiences of others in their hypervigilant states of righteousness do far more harm than good. On the other hand, sometimes, like maimonides (or chess, or any of his other handles before he got kicked off of linkup), sometimes their rants are so ridiculous that they actually boost the side of the argument that they are trying to repress. Poor strategery on their part, but good for their opponents!
Irritating solicitations. These just make me want to roll my eyes and groan. Protestations such as announcing that one is being forced to take a break because of others' posts. Or stating that one is bowing out because they fear they are no longer welcome. I think it's a ball of bologne. Regardless of whether or not said post-ers mean it, it just reeks of someone who wants to manipulate others into apologizing and trying to rerecruit. Neither of which I generally feel like doing.
Okay, the ranting is over for now. Thanks for listening.
On the sunny side, Kaimi at Times and Seasons keeps linking me in the Notes From All Over section. It's good, and bad. Good because I like the recognition and the hits to the ExII site. It's bad because the pressure is on to always post well enough that people continue to like my stuff. Pilgrim girl is trying to get people together during Sunstone conference to meet for lunch. I'm hoping for a good turnout, because I would love to meet the faces behind the handles.
Friday, July 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment