Slept over at pilgrimgirl and ni-chan's. Woke up in the morning and chatted with the kids as ni-chan took photos of his shoe and the lemon tree thorn branch that almost plunged into his toe. Don't worry, it considerately manuevered between his big and second toe, although I'm not sure the shoe will ever do well in the rain again.

Went to breakfast with PG for an overdue birthday celebration ... hers in May, mine in June. Champagne Bakery for french toast (how appropo) and a savory crepe. So lovely, especially as the heat was still drowsing. Took a minute to read Snowflake Bentley. And although the topic was one man's passion for what I really can't seem to connect with (ie: snow), I loved reading about his passion for this highly specialized type of photography. Bentley is on the opposite side of the spectrum from Turin ... vertical specialist as opposed to horizontal expansionist, but they share a keenness of mind and fervency for excellence.
Spending time alone with PG is a treat. Well, honestly, spending time with ni-chan and/o the kidlets is a treat as well, but there are things that are best discussed with one's close girlfriends. We tried to go to Color Me Mine and be creative (also so I could redeem myself after my hideous, cactus green platter), but they had unaccomodating hours, and there were others things to be done that afternoon.
After getting back to UCI, I headed out to Santa Ana to see Wonder Woman at work. I've decided that I love seeing my friends do what they're passionate about. Be it teaching a class, speaking at a forum, discussing books, singing, acting, dancing, doing stupid human tricks, whatever. And so I'm making a concerted effort. This week it's seeing WW in court. Next week maybe attending Laughtear's class. I see people dancing just about every week. Can't see my friends social working, but I can see their technique as we talk about the issues. Going on group hiking trips. The world is such an amazing place, and I love discovering new things through my friends' eyes.
Being in a federal court was an eye opener, until it was an eye closer. Let me first preface this by saying that I was dreadfully tired from the previous night, that I'm used to a certain Law and Order style (complete with the dat-da-dat-daa-daaaaaaa jingle), and that WW didn't actually speak in the courtroom, and maybe you will forgive me for nodding off every once in a while.
It was bizarre to be in the same room as the four defendants. It was difficult to reconcile their age and dropping handlebar moustaches with the heinous crimes they have committed. The one defense attorney that I heard came from the used car salesman school of oratory. The Brown Hornet immediately came to mind. However, even worse than the style, was the lack of organization. At one point he lost his train of thought and stalled for about a minute. Unable to remember his point, which must not have been all that important anyway, he continued on. Until he remembered the forlorn argument, and returned to it, by which time I was ready for him to be finished. He also tried to sideswipe the prosecution by saying that the federal government had planted evidence, but then exonerated the present prosecutors, patronizingly saying that it wasn't their fault.

However, the lead prosecutor was the one who finished me off. At least twice within the first five minutes, the judge had to remind him to move the mike closer, as even the typist (I know this is the wrong word, but I'm having a blank here) wasn't able to catch his words. Said LP was also very long-winded, didn't seem very organized in his presentation, seemed to blink every second or so, and wasn't interesting in the least. I know that I nodded off several times. It's a technique I've perfected at church. In the courtroom, I hoped that no one noticed. That is, until the federal agent on my right, a burly and jovial man, lightly feathered my elbow.
At about 1630, I decided that the judge and I had had enough, and left to return to Irvine before the traffic got unbearable. Yummy baked potato dinner with PG, then off to Outhouse, where PG was leading the discussion tonight, on bodies.

Very interesting topic. The LDS church and bodies. The spirit and body together comprising the soul. How many spiritual experiences are manifest through corporeal sensations ... warmth, tingling, burning in the bosom, every fiber of my being. Need for body to perform temple ordinances. The physicality of the laying on of hands. God the Father and the Son having physical bodies. The corporeal resurrection and perfection of our mortal bodies. The Word of Wisdom ... and how its importance and application has changed since it was first published/revealed. Heaven as a place where we will still experience things through our bodies. Even looping back to evolution. It was a fascinating evening.
And to top it all off, I watched tonight's episode of SYTYCD. How wonderful is that!
No comments:
Post a Comment