Monday, July 24, 2006

Rather wasted day

Was supposed to pick JLITH up at 1100. The plan was to relax at my apartment with the a/c, I was going to do some errands in the early afternoon. Then I would drive her to LAX, and I would meet up with some friends from work to have dinner and go to the Dodger Game (not that I really like baseball at all, but Tan Shaggy was going, and I thought it would be fun).

At 1000, right before I was going to leave, JLITH called and pushed back our time to 1200. Fine. Got a few things done at my apartment, and left at 1100.

A 1130, as I was on the road, JLITh called and said it would be more like 1200.

When she got back to the house, she pushed it back to 1230. We didn't end up leaving until 1300.

When we got back to my apartment, I dropped her off and went to do some of my errands. Got back, showered, and tried to relax and cool off before leaving for LAX at 1615.

At 1530, my mother calls. "I have the bag that JLITH was looking for!" Turns out that my sister had left a bag of stuff at my parents'. However, the bag she was looking for was not the bag my mother had ... this was another bag that my sister had left that had important things in it. Being as there was not enough time for us to drive back to the valley, retrieve said bag, and make it to the airport in time, my mother drove the bag to my apartment. We ended up leaving for LAX at 1630. My fault because I was showing my favorite, most accessible dance bits from SYTYCD. Before we left, I told JLITH to be sure that she had everything. EVERYTHING.

Dropped JLITH off at the airport and started the painful drive out to Hollywood. Thirty minutes out, JLITH called to say that she didn't have her pager. Her work pager. The one she needs when she's at work, and for no other purpose. After chewing her out about even bringing it to So Cal, I asked her where it was. Apparently the last place she saw it was at my apartment. Absolute exasperation. I'm stuck in traffic on the 105 freeway, and there's no way I was going to make it back to my apartment and to the airport in time to get it to her. Said I'd fed-ex it when I got home.

Then she called back to ask if I had a key secreted anywhere, that mom or dad could pick up the pager and bring it to her at LAX. Nope. Sorry, you're going to have to wait until I can Fed-ex it.

Finally get to my destination. As I'm exiting the car, I see her pager on the floor of my car. Oh well. I go in and have dinner with my co-workers. Eventhought I'm 40 minutes late, they're just finishing their drinks and getting ready to order food. Fun dinner, good to be at a non-work place to relax and get to know each other on a personal level.

After dinner, I end up riding with a new person to Dodger Stadium to meet up with the rest of the crew who didn't come out to dinner. We follow KiDo's directions ... take SUnset back to the hospital and turn right on Elysian Park. When we pass my gym, I start getting a little worried. Aly gives KiDo a call, but she doesn't pick up. As Aly is in a rented car, she has no maps, and we continue on. By the time we pass the Laugh Factory, I know something is dreadfully wrong. We give KiDo another call, and it appears that they realized they were going the wrong direction on Sunset, and righted themselves without giving us the heads up. Aly and I laugh our heads off, and she turns the car around ... no small feat at 1945 on the strip.

Around Western, I get another call on my phone. It's JLITH. Her flight was delayed until just before 2200. Oh. I get off the phone and struggle inside myself. I unload my story to Aly, and have her drop me off at the parking structure. Luckily, she's able to get a friend on the phone and use my ticket, so the night isn't a total waste.

I drive back to LAX and give JLITH her pager, but not before making her do the L-pose.

No comments: