
Left early in the morning to beat the traffic, but it still caught up with me. Thirty minutes out of Barstow traffic halted to a standstill. For as far up as I could see, cars and trucks were not moving. It was almost like that movie Deep Impact, without hte apocalyptic "Save my baby!" freakouts. After a couple of minutes, people started exiting their cars to get a better view of what was down traffic. After seeing that there was nothing to see, most just stepped into the shade of obliging large trucks to avoid the desert heat.
As for me? Well, I got out my handy dandy laptop and started writing my Staking My Claim/Claiming My Stake post for the Exponent II blog. Got in about a half hour's worth of writing before traffic started moving again, but just barely. We crawled along at a snail's pace for about another half hour before things started picking up again.
Stopped to refuel a little bit before Vegas. I was so shocked to be able to pay less than $3/gallon that I actually splurged for the mid-level octane gas.
Finally arrived in Springdale and comforted myself with blasting air conditioning. Finished my blog post and was overjoyed to find a wirless internet café a half block from the El Rio Lodge. Hooray for the internet and wireless! Finished the day with some excellent fish taco's at Oscar's Café, and told myself that I was weel enough adjusted to the change in elevation to do some serious hiking tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment