Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Dog Days of Summer



PAWS day at work. Volunteers with specially trained and screened dogs come in to the hospital and have visits with patients who are well enough. Our patients pet, play with, and can be polaroided with these furballs. Very therapuetic and happiness-inducing in most patients.

Generally I'm not an animal person, although I do like it when Elly-cat comes and gives me some love of her own volition. However, I was absolutely taken with the Labradoodle that came to visit today. Labra-what, you ask? Labradoodle. Mix between a labrador (for friendliness and eagerness to please), and a poodle (for intelligence and non-allergenicity, which I think is a word). Doggie came and "leaned" on me, sharing his warmth and inviting me to pet him. Of course, five minutes later he went to "lean" on someone else, but he came back to me for more. Oh yes he did. Years ago I said that someday I would get a chocolate lab and call it Sam. Then, after being introduced to Elly, I wanted a cat. Maybe someday I'll have both ... a brown-ish labradoodle names Sam, and a kitty named Neko-chan.

No comments: