I wish I could say that I loved running. I wish I were one of those carefree people who can throw on a pair of shoes and run like the wind with a ponytail like a waving standard. But I'm not. Sad to say, I would rather clean my bathroom than run.
However, I do like walking. One of my favorite ways to spend a day off is to walk a bunch of errands. I love that I live in an area of town where I'm within walking distance to so many things, and is safe enough to do so. 7-11, Seagull Book and the mail drop box are just a block away. The temple and church, Hollywood video and several Mexican foods joints are within a few minutes. The library, two shopping malls, doctor's offices and kinko's are a bit far, but reachable in 30 minutes or less on foot. Even the metro bus stop is just a block from my house. If it weren't for swing dancing and Outhouse, I could live a totally automobile-free life.
Went for a stroll the other day to return some dvds and enjoy the fresh air. Explored some of the quieter streets in my neighborhood. In an era of tract housing, it's fun to see such individualistic houses side by side ... mediterranean bungalows, pseudo-Tudor, and even the occasional pretentious plantation place fronted by awkward Greek columns.
My preference would be a little mediterranean cottage, white or a deep yellow with a bright tile roof. A little protected courtyard in front, with either bougainvillea or banana trees growing 'round about. As I contemplate it, I wonder if it's time to redirect money from the Roth (since I'm past the limit for penalty-free withdrawable amount) and start a save-for-a-downpayment account?
Anyway, also saw some lovely flora along the way. The purple flowers remind me of the junior high school field trip when I first saw these kind of blossoms. And the yellow glory of the dying leaves seemed a brilliant but poignant farewell to the blue skies that were soon to be covered with rain clouds.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment