Chitchatting is difficult for me. Beyond the fact that most social situations are not the proper forum in which to discuss events of real significance, there are not many people who I want to share my concerns with. Let's analyze the small talk that typically surfaces.
Hi there!
Hi yourself! How are you doing?
Good. You?
Oh, doing pretty good. What have you been up to?
Blah, blah, blah, blah ...
Blahs could involve any number of things ... movies seen, who's dating who, trips taken lately, happenings at work, etc etc. And the degree to which I'm interested in recounting my blahs, or hearing about someone else's blahs involve a complicated rubric of whether or not I'm invested in the person, how fascinating vs. genuine they really are, and whether or not there is the time/intent to have an indepth discussion.
Anyway, like I said, chitchatting is difficult for me. Discussion can also be difficult, but at least it's more fulfilling. So, cut the chat, and let's find some quality time to discuss, shall we?
Friday, January 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment