The other week I watched the entire second season of 24. There's just something about being able to watch all the episodes back to back in a short period of time. I blame it all on The Dot, who lent us the first season dvds and got me hooked. Anyway, who should I see on the fifth episode but my wonderful neighbor Wilson, playing a middle eastern dignitary. It was quite unexpected, and made me want to laugh eventhough the characters onscreen were discussing nuclear war.
Wilson and his wife Gem are wonderful people. Aside from the Rear-ends (as I used to call them before I was old enough to pronounce their name correctly), Wilson and Gem are the best neighbors I've ever had. Wilson is especially fabulous. He grows roses, tomatoes, and herbs in the backyard and lets us have full reign with the bounty. He looks in on us whenever there's a power outtage, disruption in phone service, or whenever he's remotely concerned about our welfare. He once warned us about lurkers in the backyard until I eased his mind by explaining that the lurkers were Precious and Superman looking for a little snuggle time (back when they were just dating). Whenever it looks like rain, he puts the papasan chair and the hammock under the porch so that they don't get drenched. He always enquires about us with the kindest manner, and seems to care when we go on about our lives.
And yet, with all this, we don't really do much in return. We water the lawn and plants in the backyard when he and Gem take trips, but that's about it.
Anyway, today I had to cut up some delicious mangoes that had rippened unexpectedly quickly. I set some aside for mangoe salsa, some aside to take to work for meals this week, and some for the three of us to eat. However, at the end of all this, I found that I still had far too much for us to consume in a timely manner. I tried texting a friend to come pick some up, but the message wouldn't go through. I wondered what I was ever going to do with so much mango goodness, when the answer became patently clear. I called Gem up and was happy to hear that they both liked mangoes, and would love to have some. It was such a little thing, but it made me immensely happy to give them something that would bring them even a little joy.
In a seemingly unrelated matter, I went to a fireside (LDS speak for an informational/spiritual meeting held on Sunday night) tonight. Liz Shropshire spoke about her experiences as a music teacher in war torn areas such as Kosovo, Uganda and Northern Ireland. I was so impressed. She is making a positive difference in the lives of children who are directly affected by the ravages of war. Through the Shropshire Music Foundation, she is not only giving these children a safe place where they can gain relief and healing through music, she is also empowering older teens and young adults by teaching them to be teachers in turn. I was deeply touched. Coming on the heels of Pilgrim Girl's Outhouse discussion on the New Testament Jesus and Social Justice, Liz's presentation hit close to home.
These wonderful people, who positively affect their surroundings, inspire me to be more giving. They truly love their neighbors ... and it's contagious. In addition to the many selfish goals I'm working on, I am deciding to be more giving. Hopefully I will have lots more to report on as time progresses.
I will be starting by giving my time in my new calling as Relief Society pianist. Not an innocuous thing for the level of piano playing that I've fallen to. I think I have about 25-30 songs that are at performance level. Maybe another 30 that need a bit of brushing up to be presentable. That leaves about 230 left in the hymn books to learn. So, this isn't really sacrificial giving yet, because I benefit as well as the RS, but it's a start.
Sunday, January 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Do you know an efficient way to slice/dice mangoes?
Whenever I try I end up with a bunch of mush all over the place, a big pit, and very little edible matter.
Post a Comment