Saturday, December 10, 2005

A long walk down Memory Road

Have started the annual clean-up-for-New-Year's organizing orgy. It's one of those things that my grandma told me is traditional in Japan, but which I have a sneaking suspicion is pretty standard the world over. Started with my desk. Pens, markers, notecards, stationary, tape, and computer stuff all dug through, sorted and organized. Started going through the stuff on top of my filing cabinet and entered a time warp.

Found a notebook with notes, cards, letters and emails from my closest friends from school ... Pilgrim Girl, Yardstick Man, Sejin-a, Mr. Personality, Hwanger. Walked down Memory Road with a little more appreciation for these people who were such a huge part of my youth. Remembered all the fun times we'd had, as well as the painful ones. Refreshed my sense of continual discovery. And felt grateful that these wonderful people were there to share those times with me.

Of them all, I only still keep in touch with PG. Although I do confess to google-ing YM every couple of years. It's remarkably easy to do with lawyers. (Aside: Just to see, I tried to do it for myself on the California Nursing Board, but they don't allow searches for specific names, for which I'm actually glad.)

Spent the rest of the day working on a video chronicling the different things I've done this past year, and the good friends with which I've done these things. Travelled to San Francisco, SLC (x3), Yosemite, Havasupai and China. Played lots of Catan. Ate lots of good food. Met many new people. Renewed old friendships. Had to say goodbye to two friends, at least for a year. Tried some new sports. Read ... not as much as I would have liked, but more non-fiction than ever before. Learned a litle family history, and said goodbye to my grandma. Camped in a hotel. Celebrated weddings, births and birthdays.

Life really is good.

Even when I had finished the video, burnt a few dvd's, then found some clips that I thought I'd lost, but which had to be included in the dvd. Even then. Life is still beautiful.

1 comment:

jana said...

I'm glad you're still my friend, Dora. Even though I was a really sucky roommate oh-so-many-years-ago. :)

So glad that you are a part of our family!! We all love you--even Ellycat (tho she only loves you for your purse).

So, wanna come and do some New Year's cleaning at my house?? Ha! :)