It's been one of those weeks. One of those long, hard weeks that I'm glad to be done with. Of the four patients I took care of this week, two were taken off of life support. One expired shortly after the ETT was taken out ... but this was done on my one day off. The other continues to breathe, and will now have a life circumscribed by tubes, and constant care.
On the bright side, I did learn a lot about a devout Muslim family's regard and love of life. I did also take care of an adorable child whose prognosis is much better, and who charmed the blues right out of me. And, made friends with the social worker who was such a big help this past week. Besides all the professional help with the family, I also got a lot of tips on prepping to buy a house/condo. It's scary but exhilirating. Played Catan two nights in a row. AND, Perky is back from travelling. All in all, life is really good.
Friday, December 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dora:
I don't know if it would be a breach of patient confidentiality for you to tell some of your stories from work--but they are so compelling.
So few of us ever stare death in the face. Unlike you, who sees it on a regular basis. A part of me is jealous, and curious, and horrified, and amazed by your job.
Post a Comment