Saturday, December 03, 2005

Exploring the Armand Hammer (the museum, not the baking powder)



(Trying to make ourselves as big as possible)

After a late night phone call, and even later night texting, met up with BFF at the Armand Hammer Museum for a little free exploring. JLITH has been telling me to go for years. Took an early evening stroll in the brisk fall weather up to Westwood. Of note in the special exhibits were some woodblock prints by Hokusai (he makes water come alive) and Little Nemo comic strips by McCay. I also enjoyed some of the portraits in the permanent collection, especially the one of the elderly Russian peasant.

What do I know of art, though? It's such a subjective experience. I have never taken art history or appreciation courses. I just like what I like. For me, it's more the emotional pull and resonance than any specific type of technique.

My artistic likes:
Western portraiture that tells a story: Sargent, Cassatt, Rockwell
(children and comedy), Monet, Bouguereau, David, Rembrandt.
The weird and imaginative collages of David Ball David Ball. Like Monet, these have to be seen in person to get the full effect.
Pared down and thoughtful sketches
Eastern landscapes: most recently Li Huayi
Ancient textiles and statues ... generally from non-Western cultures.
Period costumes
Really sharp black and white narrative photography
Poetry that has a strict rubric and still manages to be beautiful: sonnets (esp: Will's CXVI), tanka (translations by Hirshfield) and haiku

Dislikes:
Asian portraiture
Western landscapes
Religious art that depicts a bloodless/dead Christ.
Minimalist art
Blank verse. Although I do like good prose.

No comments: