
Making a new mixed cd ... Strum Kind of Wonderful. Songs which have a heavy guitar voice. Been on my mind for a while now. Anyway, as I started to build it, I noticed that it was really male-vocals-heavy. Most of the female vocalists were of the slow/country persuasion. Consulted Perky for ideas on female rockers with a not-so-gentle sound. She recommended Elastica, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, No Doubt, Lucinda Williams, Shelby Lynne Veruca Salt and Joan Jett. This begs the question ... are female rockers not as talented at the hard stuff as men, or have they avoided it because it's commercially undesirable? Anyway, so far, the list is Take Me Out (Franz Ferdinand), Connection (Elastica), Life is Bad (Shelby Lynne), Someday You Will Be Loved (Death Cab For Cutie), Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith), Shiver (Maroon 5), Lebanese Blonde (Thievery Corporation), By the Way (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Seether (Veruca Salt), Only Happy When it Rains (Gargabe), Back in Black (AC/DC), E-Pro (Beck), Little Bird (White Stripes), Sugar Never Tasted So Good (ibid), I Can't Wait (ibid), God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (Coldplay), Fugitive (Indigo Girls), Down on Me (Janis Joplin), Blackbird (Sarah McLachlan), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin).
Also saw the documentary New York Doll. Sweet. Not in that heavily sugared way, but like Wonder Woman's excellent butterscotch pudding ... simple, smooth, carefully crafted, and you taste a variety of flavors as you hold it in your mouth. Whitely did a magnificent job. A little queer to see President Bragg, Rust and Greg on the big screen, and hear an especially touching version of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief."
Went and had Shears give me a haircut. Made me feel a little guilty for not being faithful to JoLa, but I needed a change. Arrived a little early, and saw Shears giving the tail end of a lecture to the students (she TEACHES hairstyling/cutting!). Revealling to see her in a professional, as opposed to friendly/social, setting. Took a bunch of pictures on my laptop in for her to look at, saying that I wanted something shorter, more individual (not feeling the need to hide behind my hair these days), and easy to care for. Shears did a fantastic job (thus her new nickname). Layered in the back to the base of my neck, slightly longer to collarbone in front, chopped wispies in front to make bangs. I love it!
Finished packing, and Wonder Woman drove me to LAX. Among other things we talked about NY Doll. The part where the ex-wife reads Moroni 7:26 really got me. Prayers being granted. Maybe I don't have enough faith that God *will* bless me in certain matters, although I believe that He *can.* Also, the incongruity between deserving versus receiving blessings. Or is it that I engage in self-defeating behaviors that make certain blessings less receivable? Not that my life is unblessed. I am incredibly blessed, and I try to remain grateful. Anyway, it was a sobering discussion, the kind I love to have with WW.
WW dropped me off at Bradley Terminal. When I discovered that China Air was actually in terminal 2, I hoofed it over ... and got into the longest line I've ever seen at LAX. Turns out there had been a piece of unattended luggage, and they had cleared a certain section of the terminal! Waited a long time, but eventually got checked in and onto the plane. Non-aisle seat in the middle, but at least the seats are a little wider than on the ends ... or so it seemed. And we were off. China, here I come!
No comments:
Post a Comment