



Tonight was my Aunt Yo's last night in LA. It's been such a nostalgic visit. Aunt Yo brought old pictures and documents that she found while going through my grandmother's things. Old family black and white pictures; deeds, blueprints and layouts of houses my grandfather owned; my grandmother's handwritten (in Japanese) personal history; grandmother's calligraphy; etc etc. A lot of it I scanned onto Genie and Bork's computer, some of it I copied. Along with all of this were the reminiscences of my mother and aunt, stories I had never heard about philandering or embezzling great-uncles, love matches gone awry, headstrong and independent great-aunts; and my generous grandfather.
My aunt also brought tidings of my Uncle Yu; my charismatic, handsome and kind uncle. He is the only son of his parents, and the last to bear their name, as he has no children. Years ago, I worried about it, wondering who would carry on his business. It seems that my cousin HY has been helping out, which makes me happy. However, I wish Yu had an heir.
Aunt Yo also told us about her children, and grandchildren, which number three. They seem to be growing so fast. I and my father are the only ones in my family who have not seen them. Makes me contemplate taking a trip to see them this next year. It would also be nice to take a trip to the countryside and pay my respects to my grandparents at the family mausoleum.
Anyway, the memories have been shared, the omiage bought and packed, and family documents copied and stored.
Spork treated us to dinner at Traxx ... restaurant in Union Station. The food was surprisingly tasty and well presented, and the atmosphere was subdued and elegant. This could be one of my favorites. Also, Union Station was quiet and rather empty. We were able to wander down the large hall, take pictures in the retro station seats, and watch as they set up the enormous lighted Christmas tree. What a wonderful way to say good-bye to my aunt, and hello to the holiday season.
No comments:
Post a Comment