Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Rush Blogging: Feeling Raleighian

Dropped Wry-an of at work. Over to Big Ed's for a true southern breakfast. Grits with butter, link sausage, and eggs. Grits are like savory oatmeal.




Off to the Tobacco Museum, at the old Duke farm. Took lots of going to actually get there. I can't seem to get the grip on driving through the east coast highways. I was skeptical about whether or not I'd enjoy the experience. But Wry-an seemed to think it would be great fun, so I decided to give it a try. And I loved it. Interesting to learn about an industry that dominated the area until just recently. Now, instead of being known for tobacco, the area is trying to revamp itself as a medicine-focused community. I especially loved going through all the old buildings, seeing everyday items like the bed key (used to tighten the ropes that held up the straw mattresses), the ash distiller for making soap, the pie-safe, and the jagged/primitive fences. It was a real treat.

Back in the center of Raleigh. Art Space ... like an artists' communal building. Lots of little studios. Particularly impressed with quiltworks by Ann Harwell. Her work is so vibrant, colorful, and imaginative. Even her quilting, though done with machine. changes color within the fabric pieces to meld them all together with swirly lines of stitching.

NC Museum of History. Photo exhibit of Margaret Warner Morlay. The Carolina Mountains. Found out the story of the Tar Heels.

Picked up Wry-an, and we met up with GP for dinner at Sushi Blues. Fun place that serves sushi and blues music. An odd combo, but definitely entertaining. Wish I could have eaten more, but it was just impossible.

Then, we were off to Loafer's Beach Club. A misnomer, since it is nowhere near the beach. At first we couldn't even find it. Then, Wry-an introduced me to the wonders of Googl texting. I was amazed. Must find out more about this phenomenon. Finally found the place. Had trouble getting in, despite knowing that there was at least one person inside. Turns out it was a "private club." Meaning that it served alcohol, and that you needed to be a member or be referred to get in. I didn't know that these types of places exited outside of Utah! Anyway Adam, who was the teacher for the night, came and agreed to be our sponsors, and so we were in.

Lesson was on Charleston. Not my favorite, but it was good to brush up on it. Teachers were very enthusiastic and light-footed. Dancing was okay. Best dances were with Adam, Bob (so very smooth and airy), and LT (or some other configuration of letters, who was very adaptable). Wry-an and GP left around 10-ish, with some stricture for me to be safe, etc etc.

Got home not too late-ish, but had to shower quickly, and pack. And then I kept waking up for fear that I would oversleep and miss my flight.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

You were such a wonderful guest. We've since ventured out to the museum with the butterflies and the sloth. That one was amazing. I likes the whale skeleton they had..it brought back reading "Moby Dick" memories