Saturday, March 03, 2007

More pieces of the puzzle, or beads of the necklace

Getting to know new people is like piecing a puzzle together ... so many different pieces, trying to get them all to fit, and learning to see the big picture. Friends, family, individual tastes, motivations, inspirations, fears, doubts, living spaces, the presence or absence of different types of knowledge, habits, etc. When I'm new-friend-ing, I'm always amazed at how all these factors come together to form one unique person. We're all so incredibly complex.

Went over to Brea to have lunch with Socrates. Renaissance Cafe, unless I'm mistaken. The (new) owner stopped by for a bit of a chat. This (talking to random people when we're out and about) always suprises me about Socrates. I generally never talk to random strangers unless I think there's something they need help with ... directions, instructions, a comforting person to talk with at a party, etc. Maybe this is just a manifestation of my insecurity or disinclination for small talk.

Then drove down to Irvine for Pilgrim Girl's Pretty Party. Sniffles and headache starting to make themselves heard ... again. Popped a couple advil (one of my two drugs of choice) as soon as i got them PG's cupboard. We all brought food to share, and settled in to learn jewelry-making from TSW. The table was lit with several small lamps, and the beads shimmered in the soft light. TSW passed out the piece kits we'd signed up for, and those of us who'd brought our own beads shared our abundance. I was extremely happy that some old necklaces and bracelets that had been languishing in drawers were recycled into desired and creative new pieces.

TSW spent a little time explaining technique, and then we all settled into the cozy habit of talking about. It felt almost like an old-time quilting circle. Old time friends, and a couple of new friends, gathered around a common activity, just sharing our lives, and eating hearty, good food. Old jokes, new jokes, friend-ly news, sharing experiences, lauding each other creative attempts.

Left a little before 2100. Hadn't realized the time. Working for the next three days before going up to SLC. Not looking forward to it.

No comments: