West coast swing dancing at the MAC again. Arrived early to do the lessons with Pam Genovesi and BJ. Beginner lesson was really too basic, but I did it anyway, because they needed follows. I was sad that another of the advanced girls didn't join in as well. I just feel that everyone should be invested in helping beginning dancers get better.
Also did the intermediate lesson. Funny, but I just don't remember it at all. Anyway, the familiar crowd was there when the dancing really got started.
Sherry, who I'd met last time I was in town. Tall, blonde, young, fun, friendly, and a pretty good dancer. Sherry always manages to call California "Cali." I don't actually know anyone from California who calls it Cali ... most of the people who do are from outside of California, and I guess Cali is a way of glamourizing California. I tend to see most people from California saying they're from specific cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Palm Springs) or areas (LA, the OC, the Bay area, etc). People in California know that the state is so diverse in termperament and temperature that more distinction is needed than just California.
Utah Swing Ambassador was there as well. He was one of the first people I met at the MAC. Tall, scruffy, looks like he could be Aaron Eckhart's younger brother. Has very dry, chapped hands. Is always very friendly to everyone who comes to the MAC, hence the nickname. Leads really well, always to the level of the person he's dancing with. Turns out he's a plumber, and that he lived in LA about five years ago, AND he used to dance at Suzy Q's and Paladino's. How we never met in LA I'll never understand. Anyway, he's one of my favorite people and dancers at the MAC.
Foosball Enthusiast was also there. He's rather short and compact. Does web design. Dances really well, but is very structured when it comes to dance. Not that he can't adapt ... for instance, he was great at leading some double pirrouette kickout turns once he saw that I could do them (I think pirrouette turns haven't caught on at the MAC yet), and seems to admire my footwork. But he doesn't seem to be able to adapt to a follow taking over a couple beats of the dance. But I guess the fact that sometimes I'm willful (or just not great at following WCS) would have to balance me out on the badness scale of dancing.
Handcuffs was there as well. It's always a little hit or miss with him. About every other time I come, I see him here. Which is funny, since it was on his recommendation that I first came to the MAC. I think he still dreams about coming back to LA, and I know he misses the LA lindy scene.
The Bills (tall and short) were both there as well. And Shoeless One. And I danced with Bob for the first time. Always admired his dancing. I had a hard time following, but I was also really tired. And also danced one song with Eric. It always amuses me when people ask, as Eric did, "So, you're an LA lindy dancer?" As if there was only one type of lindy in LA. Maybe everyone still associates LA dancers with a strict Hollywood style. In which case, Eric must have been horribly disappointed. I'd classify myself into the groove category, with strong leanings to blues dancing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
In Orange County, we don't call it "The OC." Generally we refer to the city we're from, or the region, north county, south county, etc.
Not like you 213's and 310's.
Post a Comment